Chapter 5

It was Shivey's last full day of R&R and she fully intended to enjoy it. Up early for one last swim, Shivey smiled when saw she'd have the pool all to herself, if only for a short time. Taking advantage of the time alone, Shivey relishing in the silence; the only sound being the cut of the water as she moved through it.

Thirty minutes later Shivey was relaxing on one of the deck chairs soaking up the early morning sun; it was going to be another beautiful day.

After catching her breath and forcing herself away from poolside, Shivey made her way back to her room where she showered and dressed ready for a day or pampering and indulgence. Coral would be so proud of her. She'd booked herself into the hotel's day spa. A full day of being pampered was not something Shivey had ever contemplated; never one to waste time or money on something she could do without, but...

Shivey needed this. Deserved this. And damn it, for the first time in her life she wasn't going to consider the cost.

Shivey was going to let herself have it! She'd even considered having her hair done, figured it would be a total waste of money because she's only sleep on it then travel home next day getting no benefit from it what so ever.

Her hair would just have to stay as is and with that in mind Shivey gave herself up to the capable hands of Rene and her staff at the hotel's day spa. All thoughts of home, family, Alphas and any other difficulties she might be headed back to were pushed aside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taren sat at the kitchen table with Owen a mug of coffee in his hand. He had known Owen for most of his life, had always trusted him. Owen had initially worked for his father; insisted on coming with Taren when he'd taken on his first position as Alpha. That had been some time back and now they had move to a new position, a bigger Pack.

Taren was new to the area, but some of his old Pack members had opted to follow him. His Beta, that is to say his second in charge as well as several other prominent males - several of his lieutenants and their families. His lieutenants weren't soldiers as such, but they did what was needed to keep the peace. Shifters were known to have a short fuse, Taren's lieutenants made themselves available to ensure situations didn't get too far out of hand. Shifters policed their own.

Pack Security was an issue, hence the need for Taren appointing a 'Head of Security'. Who he appointed though, was important because he not only had to be good at what he did, he'd have to be accepted by the rest of the Pack hierarchy - i.e. its lieutenants. Today's meeting would be to officially introduce Rhys as the new Head of Security and discuss any issues that were relevant.

Owen took a seat opposite Taren waiting quietly for the Alpha to speak. He'd known the man since he was a child, had told the boy's father he would be leaving his Pack to go with Taren. A situation that led to Owen being able to walk away from his duties with the blessing of the Alpha. Taren's father knew his son would be in safe hands, at least he'd have someone close to lean on if there was ever a need. A need as there was now.

"I've invited Coral, Siobhan's friend over for lunch today, she made those cookies I gave you, so I thought you two could talk recipes while I'm in the meeting. She's house-sitting for Siobhan and..." he cleared his throat. "She's bringing a furry friend with her. A rather large cat." Taren put his mug on the table unable to stop himself from laughing.

"You're not going to believe this, but Rhys is scared to death of the tabby." The expression on Owens face said it all. "Yeah, she's responsible for the way Rhys looks at the moment."