Chapter 1

Chapter One

“There it is,” I muttered. An orbiting superstructure rotated on the viewscreen before me, silhouetted by the bluish-white planet. This monstrosity was far smaller than its sibling, the Torian orbital station, but still far larger than the Rulusian vessel we rode in.

I studied the hulking mass of dark gray metal which symbolized so much pain and suffering. A long boom, half the length of the satellite, jutted toward the planet. At the very tip, a sensor sphere conducted scans of the planet. Beams penetrated deep under the planet’s surfaces and bounced back to large cupped blades surrounding the satellite’s cylindrical body. The strength of these beams tracked the planet’s citizens, rooting out large gatherings of anti-government forces. Violent executions had run rampant, and had to be stopped.

That’s why I was here.

A Rulusian Captain sat stoic at my right, his black dress uniform fitting tight. Three golden rings on each shoulder pad caught the light, nearly blinding me. He lifted his bald green head and tilted it to either side, neck bones cracking. Sweat formed and rolled down my skin, from the extra-humid conditions Rulusians preferred. He smirked. “Well, Aston, shall we get their attention?”

“Sounds like a plan,” I told him.

Thousands of blue organic crystals comprised the sensor sphere and supplied the transmitter’s tremendous power. The pit of my stomach tightened into a knot, just below the Mark II blaster holstered outside my black jumpsuit. I’d unknowingly delivered those very crystals into the hands of the Torian king during my last visit to this system. In essence, I’d assisted his plan of genocide.

Sweet satisfaction would come with the satellite’s destruction, and appeasing my guilt an added bonus.

He turned his attention to one of the stations along the round bridge’s right wall. “Helm, set a course just this side of the border.”

“Aye, Captain.” The planet shifted left off the screen as our massive aft engines kicked in for the maneuver.

“We greatly appreciate your help, Captain.” His actions placed him at great risk, even with his home world.

“Glad to do it. Hopefully you remember we’re not officially helping you.”

I let out a brief chuckle. “Well, you’re doing a fine job of not officially helping us.”

The ship’s first officer, whose name I couldn’t remember, spoke up from the opposite side of the bridge, her feminine voice steady. “Captain, a Torian heavy cruiser is on an intercept course.”

Behind us on the left, the communications officer announced, “They’re hailing us.”

“As expected.” The Captain stood and pulled his uniform taut. “Put it through, Lieutenant, audio only.”

“Connection’s live.”

“This is Captain Dillager of the Rulusian freighter Green Four.” He clasped his hands behind his back.

A rough, low voice broke the silence, each syllable heavily emphasized. “Captain, I demand you vacate this vicinity immediately!”

The Captain’s attitude ratcheted up a notch. “With whom am I speaking?”

“Commander Roth Sevil, Torian Planetary Defenses.”

“Commander, double-check your sensors. We are within the borders of interstellar space, and will continue as we see fit.”

“Unacceptable! What is your destination?”

“My crew and I are simply doing a little sightseeing.”