Chapter nine

I wake up the next morning to find that my face is crusty and the bed is damp from my endless sobs. I just sigh and decide to get ready for the day. I walk into the bathroom and try my best to wash all the crust from my face. Then I go get dressed into a long blue dress without any sleeves, since I'll probably never wear anything nice after my interviews. I decide to braid a small chunk of my hair and pin it back. Then I walk downstairs into the dining room. I'm the first one there so I just serve myself. I eat toast and some fruit. By the time I'm digging into the middle of my meal, Peeta, Haymitch, and Effie walk into the room.

"Good morning. You look tired." Says Peeta.

"I'm okay. Just nervous and worried." I reply.

I finish my breakfast and an avox comes to take it from me. "It's ok, I've got it." I say and stride over to the kitchen.

I place it in the sink and go back to the table. "What time are we going to get ready for our interviews?" I ask Haymitch.

"Um, I think at about 3 or 4:00." He replies.

"Okay." I get up from the table.

I walk back to my room and decide to read a book. But they don't have any. I groan and just watch some stupid television show about a rich family.

A few hours later I hear knocking at my door. "Prim dear, they're here!" Effie exclaims.

"Coming!" I say.

I run to the door and find Cinna at the end of the hallway. I give him a hug. "Ready to get started?" He asks.

I nod. Then I see my prep team coming towards me. They grab my arms and pull me into a random room.

"Okay, let's get started by taking a shower." Says Flavius.

I nod and step into the bathroom. My prep team follows me. "Do you mind?" I ask.

They blush. "Sorry dear, just use these soaps." Says Venia.

"Ok." I say and take the soaps.

I spend almost half an hour in there because of how many shampoos and conditioners they want me to use. At least I smell good, though. I slip on a robe and step into the room.

"That's much better! Now let's do your hair and makeup." Squeals Octavia.

I sit in the chair and they start drying my long, tangled hair. Flavius styles my nails with flames and Venia does my makeup while Octavia fixes my hair. When they're done, Cinna comes in with a bag.

"Is that my dress?" I ask.

"Yup." He replies. "Close your eyes."

I close my eyes and he slips on the cold, heavy dress.

"Now open them!" He says after a while of adjusting.

I open my eyes and stare into the mirror. My eyes widen. I don't look like Primrose Everdeen, the poor unlucky 12 year old girl from District 12. I look like someone who's from District 1, or even the Capitol itself. I'm wearing a bright red dress with orange flames at the bottom and my pin is attached. My hair has been let down, but two small strands have been braided in the front. I'm not wearing much makeup; I only have on mascara and some light pink lipgloss. My nails are painted dark orange with some black flames.

"Here, slip on these shoes."

I slip on some red flats. I'm glad I don't have heels. I would most likely trip on stage.

"Cinna, thank you." I whisper. I give him a hug.

"Your welcome." He says.

"Oh! Look at the time! We should be going!" Says Venia.