Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"That was quite scary to watch," Credence said with his eyes wide. He shook his head. "My own daughter, being--" He gasped, clutching a hand to his chest, "--formal!"

Alanna giggled. "It's alright, Uncle Credence. There's nothing wrong with being formal. In fact, one of my ..." She paused. She had no idea how to refer to Remus anymore. Friend? Person that she'd kissed? She swallowed thickly. "My friend Remus talks formally all the time. It's quite nice, to be honest."

Credence crooked an eyebrow at his niece's suddenly odd behaviour. Joanne frowned before she grabbed Alanna's arm.

"Excuse us," she said to her family members before dragging Alanna into the kitchen. She crossed her arms over her chest and stared at her younger sister. "What was that about?"

Alanna shrugged, rubbing her arm. "I don't know. I just ... I don't really know what Remus is to me anymore. It's weird. Calling him a friend seems right, but it sounds wrong. I think ..."

"You think that because you kissed him it changes your friendship?"

"Not so loud!" Alanna hissed at her sister. Joanne raised her hands in defense. "But yes, that's kind of what I'm thinking." She paused. "What if he's disappointed and doesn't want to be friends when I tell him that I don't want to, like ... be with him?"

Joanne chuckled. "You're so damn awkward, Allie."

Alanna glared at her sister. "That's not helping."

"Okay, well, what d'you want me to say then?" Joanne asked.

"Something sisterly. Something like 'Oh, he'll be fine with it and you guys can be best friends'. Or something close to that," Alanna answered with a nod.

"Alright. He'll be fine with it and you guys can be best friends," Joanne repeated. "There. Problem solved. Now please don't be weird for the rest of the night."

Alanna giggled. "Alright, I promise I won't be weird."

"Now let's get back to greeting our family, shall we?"

***

Soon enough, the Harpshire home was filled with guests for the Christmas dinner. Most of the girls' younger cousins were infatuated with the new puppies, while the adults mostly stood around talking.

Alanna had found herself in the company of Jackson Hyde for most of the night. They talked about anything and everything until it was finally time to start the traditional family bonfire. The tradition of writing down wishes and burning them afterwards had been started by Alanna's great-great-grandfather one Christmas. He said it would bring good luck to the Harpshire family for generations to come. Everybody, family and friends, young and old, gathered outside to watch Stephan ignite the top of the pile of sticks.

"Anybody got a lighter?" Stephan asked as he looked around at the faces of the family. Harena rolled her eyes.

"My husband, everybody," she muttered, causing a few women surrounding her to chuckle. She tossed a lighter at the back of Stephan's head. He turned and glared at his wife, while Harena just waved her fingers at him. He shook his head before he bent down to pick up the lighter. He lit it before tossing it into the pile of sticks and branches. It caught fire immediately, causing the family and friends to cheer and clap their hands.

"This is going to be great," Alanna laughed as Jackson smiled at her. She cheered loudly before she realised just how loud she was cheering. She blushed as she noted Jackson's staring. Jackson merely chuckled and invited her to go back inside because it was getting a little cold outside.

"So what do we do now?" Jackson asked. Alanna was confused for a moment before she realised that the Hyde family was new to the traditions. This was the first Christmas that they had spent with the rest of the friends and family.

"Oh, right," Alanna said as she remembered. "You're new to this one. So we write down our wishes for the next year and then throw them into the bonfire so they burn," she explained. "My great-great-grandfather Douglas started this and believed it would bring good luck."

Jackson made a face. "And do you believe it?"

Alanna shrugged. "Does it matter?" She smiled softly. "It's worked in the past, so I think it'll work this year." She took a deep breath. "Besides, with the year that I have coming up, I think I'm going to need luck."

Jackson frowned. "Why? What's up?"

Alanna shook her head. "It's nothing. Really." She gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Doesn't matter. Not to you, anyway."

Jackson gave her a look, causing her to laugh.

"Trust me when I say you don't wanna know."

Jackson shrugged. "Fine. But you tell me if this year goes good for you or not, okay?"

Alanna nodded in agreement, throwing Jackson a smile.

"Deal."