Alone Time

Michael's P.O.V

I gripped onto the wheel as I zipped past cars making it closer to the house.

Once we were close I could see Embers motorcycle parked outside of the garage.

"Well you have arrived to your destination" I said trying to mask my worry with cockiness.

Then I heard shouting.

"What the fuck Briggs" I heard Ember yell. We all looked at each other then quickly rushed inside.

"You knew what you were getting into" Briggs yelled back.

"Liar" Ember screamed, "If I had known I would never have agreed. You could have told me they changed the school name, but no you decided to leave it as a surprise"

"What" Cassie Whispered.

I kept listening.

"Look crimes are happening here, are you really telling me your okay with turning your back on this place, on this town." Briggs said with a sigh.

"What do I care" Ember said coldly.

"You do care, I know you do, because your her" Briggs said, then I heard him place something on the counter.

Then there was silence, chilling silence.

"I don't know what your talking about" Ember said.

I assume Briggs was about to answer, but then Lia blew our cover when her phone went off.

"Who's there" Briggs asked.

"Really Lia" Dean said.

"Oh, it's josh" she said looking at the text she received.

"WHAT" Dean yelled.

I rolled my eyes and we all walked out of our hiding spot.

Once we did I saw a frustrated Briggs with his hand on a closed file, and Ember staring at the counter with her hair covering her.

"We were just looking for Ember" I said softly.

Everyone was quiet, even Lia.

Then a phone went off, it was Briggs this time.

He looked down at it then shoved it in his pocket again "I have to go right now, I'll be back later to ask how everything went" Briggs said taking the file.

Ember then stood not looking at any of us, then she turned and walked up stairs.

Briggs turned and left through the front door.

Once again everyone was silent, "what was that all about" Lia asked, breaking the ice.

"And what was that file" Dean asked.

"Someone should probably go check up on her" Cassie said.

Everyone stood still and I rolled my eyes walking towards the stairs.

I made it to Embers door and stood outside with clenched fists.

I looked up at the door and a small smile curved onto my lips as I remembered the truth or dare night.

My hand involuntarily grabbed the dagger necklace I had hanging on me ever since that night.

Just as I was about to knock on her door I heard Judd shout "dinners ready".

I looked at the door and decided not to open it.

I shoved my hands in my pocket and walked back downstairs.

I walked to where I thought the kitchen was only to realize I was still in the safe house.

"Oh come on" I groaned.

Why am I so concerned over Ember, sure she may look like it a bit but she s not.... her.

I couldn't even bring myself to think of her name.

You never cared for her anyway.

My thoughts were stopped once I walked into the kitchen where everyone was seated for dinner.

"Where's Ember" Sloane asked

I shrugged, "shes still in her room"

"Weren't you supposed to check on her" Lia asked.

"I didn't want to disturb her, sometimes alone time is the best way to cool off" I said.

"Yeah, but that girl did not need to cool off, what she needs is someone." Lia said standing up.

"Lia, sit down. Michael is right she will come down when she is ready." Judd said.

Lia glared sharply at Judd, then she sat back down.

We all ate while Judd asked some pretty generic questions about school.

We all answered his questions boringly.

It's funny, I guess before Ember came we had pretty damn boring lives we just didn't really notice.

But now that we're back in the house, well our safe house, without Ember. Everything just seems kind of...

Dull.

Suddenly Sloane stood up from her seat, her plate unfinished, and walked out of the kitchen. Not a single word slipped her lips.

Soon enough Judd also left the kitchen, leaving only Cassie, Lia, Dean, and I.

"What was that file Briggs had?" Cassie asked once the sound of Judds steps faded.

"Whatever was inside it must have something to do with Ember." Dean said.

As we were about to get deeper in the conversation Sloane bursted through the kitchen doors, a look of worry spread across her face.

"Sloane what's wrong" Lia asked as we all abruptly stood up.

"Its Ember, she's gone" Slaone said.

"WHAT" I yelled.

"I went to her door and knocked on it, there was no answer and I was beginning to worry so I used my Bobby pin to pick her lock." Sloane said.

"Impressive" Lia commented, I rolled my eyes.

"But when I walked in she wasn't there, the only thing I found was her bedroom window open" Sloane said.

"What, but all of our rooms are on the second floor." Cassie said.

"And we never heard or saw her come down stairs, that means she must have jumped" I said.

"No way, even someone as athletic as her had to have broken or something if they were to make a jump like that" Dean said.

We all looked back to where Sloane was, but she wasn't there.

"Sloane" Cassie said her name.

"Out here" we heard her voice yell back from outside.

We all rushed out of the kitchen then the front door to find Sloane staring up.

We stood beside her and looked up.

"That's embers window. Since the window is full body and it does have a ledge it's a very likely possibility that she could have climbed down from it, slid down the pipes, land on the trash can, then jump to the ground" Sloane said.

"What are you guys looking at?"