Chapter 1: The Mistake

Emma

I sighed setting down my reading glasses onto the stack of papers on my desk. I rubbed my eyes and redid my sloppy ponytail. My head shot up to the door as a succession of knocks ring through my ears. I smiled and stood up. I walked up to the door and pulled it open to be met with a little girls happy squeals. I stepped backwards slightly as she tackled my waist in a hug.

"Tessa! How are you?" I smiled down and ruffled her black hair.

"Look! I lost a tooth and I the tooth fairy came and I got five whole dollars!" She flashed me a toothy grin showing her left upper canine missing. I looked up and shook her father's hand. "Hello Mr. Alvarez! How have you been?" I asked

"Ah Emma, I've been good. Do you mind if I watch this session?" He asked with a slight smile.

"Please Miss. Emma!" Tessa exclaimed.

"I don't mind one bit! Now Tess lets go get the horses." I turned and looked at her father and his companions that seem to follow him like puppies. "It seems like a nice day today. I was thinking we could train outdoors today." He nodded in approval. I turned and walked down the hallway to grab halters. Tessa practically skipped to her hook with her name above it and grabbed her violet halter and lead rope as I debated who I wanted to ride today.

"Hey Tessa, who should I get today?" I asked looking down at her. She pondered for a second then yelled, "Kit Kat!" I grinned and grabbed my bigger halter. We walked out and passed her father and his followers. She skipped along beside me until we got to the one pasture that had several of my horses but not all of them.

I whistled out and three horses came trotting up. Kit Kat, my dark brown Clydesdale, Diamond the palomino Quarter Horse that Tessa rode and lastly Onyx another Quarter Horse that is jet black. Diamond immediately walked to Tessa and put her head down so the 7 year old could put her halter on. Kit Kat lumbered over the others and I quickly haltered him.

We led them out back into the barn. The men awed at Kit Kat's massive size. I tied Diamond up for Tessa and then tied Kit Kat. She dragged her stool to him and began to saddle him up. Of course, I saddled faster than her. She stood back and admired her work. I walked over and tightened her saddle more and slid the bridle on her. I knelt down and made sure Tessa's helmet is nice and secure.

She was already on Diamond when I looked back. I secured my helmet as well and climbed up on my 21 hand Clydesdale. I led the way to the outdoor arena with Tessa following closely behind. I sat in the middle of the arena as Tessa already knew the routine. She began to warm up Diamond by slowly working her up to a canter around the ring. I saw her father and his followers? Sit in the bleachers that I have set up.

I trotted alongside her and soon it became late and our lesson was nearing the end. I stopped and exhaled.

"Tessa!" I called her in and she slowed and walked Diamond to me.
"It's already time" She pouted. We walked to the barn and I hopped off Kit Kat and tied him up. I watched Tessa unsaddle and smiled as she did everything perfectly. She brushed Diamond and braided her mane. She gave her a kiss on the nose and snuck her a few treats when she thought I wasn't watching. She led her to the pasture and turned her loose.

"Are you gonna unsaddle Kit Kat?" She asked with an adorable head tilt following. I smiled and walked her to her father. "Between you and me Kit Kat needs some exercise he's getting kinda-" and I mocked a fat horse and she laughed loudly. I shook Mr. Alvarez's hand and nodded to the men behind him. He handed me a check for the lessons and I thanked him.