“Did you make any friends?” She tried again, her smile faltering a little.

                “Um yeah, a few.” John answered vaguely.

                “Will you just answer the damn questions like a normal kid?” His father barked, slamming down his beer. “If you don’t like the school, it sure as hell won’t be a problem not sending you back.”

                “Richard…” His mother warned, glaring out of the corner of her eye. “I’m sure John is just tired from school.”

                “Yeah, I am.” He answered quickly, eyes flitting over to his dad. “I’ve had lots of school work with my honors classes to still keep my grades up, but I enjoy the classes.” His father grunted in approval, leaning back in his chair to pick at his teeth.

                “That’s lovely John.” It was silent at the table once more while they all ate. The silence was still tense, but at least his parent’s seemed relatively at ease with each other, so John couldn’t really ask for anything more. If only he could get done before…

                “I’m home!” A loud voice accompanied by the door slamming shut.

Too late.

Harry walked into the kitchen, throwing her duffel on the counter before plopping down in one of the chairs. In just the past year off at college, she had dyed her dark blonde hair bright blue, and John caught the glint of a new piercing on her nose.

                “Good to see you Harriet.” His mother said, while his father just glared at her from across the table.

                “Just Harry mum, but nice to see you too.” She managed to get out between bites. “Hey squirt.” She grinned, ruffling the top of John’s head so that his hair stuck up in all sorts of angles. He said nothing, opting to look down at his food passively. The last thing he needed was to get dragged into the argument that was bound to come. The only sound in the small house was Harry’s fork scraping along her plate, that and the sound of their father’s glare.

                “So, how is school?” Their mother asked, admittedly with less enthusiasm than she used with John. He caught the guilty look she sent his way before her eyes flitted back to her daughter.

                “It’s great, my classes are going really well, and I’ve decided to focus on my art major finally. Plus, I’ve met someone.” Harry blushed, looking down.

                “Oh that’s wonderful,” Their mom gushed, leaning forwards.

                “Her name is Clara.” Silence, and John saw his mom’s hand freeze in its path towards her.

                “Oh.” She said after a long period of silence, retracting her hand. “That’s nice.”

                “Yeah she’s super nice and we have a few of the same classes together and we’ve thought about getting an apartment together and-” Their dad let out a large breath through his nose, and Harry stopped mid-sentence to glare at him. “Do you have something to say Dad.” She hissed through her teeth.

                “Oh, I have plenty of things to say Harriet.” He shot back, leaning forwards and banging his hands on the table.

                “It’s Harry, and if this is about Clara you guys already knew that I was-”

                “Oh this whole Clara thing is only the tip of the iceberg-”