Chapter 1

School was school. It was boring and we learned. But today was different. I could feel it in the air. I felt like something was going to happen. The bell rang releasing everyone to lunch. Kids scrambled to put their stuff away and get out but I just took my time when putting my stuff away and slowly meandered out. Lunch was my least favorite part of the day. Lunch meant that I had to interact with other people and pretend to be happy. Not that I'm not happy of course, I just don't really like socializing. I have 3 friends that I hang out with Ashley, Megan, and Hannah.

Megan was quiet, like me, and she just read all lunch. I liked her the best out of the 3 because I think she likes people just as much as I do. Ashley is really hyper and seems to always get in peoples bussiness. But I love her all the same. Hannah is as hyper as Ashley and does like 20 different sports. I walked through the halls to the spot where I always meet my friends and to my surprise none of them were there yet.

I decided to sit down and wait for them to come. I was waiting for about 5 minutes before Ashley walked up. She wore short jean shorts and a loose gray tank top. She had the same black converse as me and the same type of bag as me but in a salmon color. She skipped up to me with a big smile plastered on her face "Hazel oh my god! There's a new kid and you HAVE to meet him! Come on I'll show you, Megan and Hannah are already there." This was what we normally did when there was a new kid. We followed them around school to check them out. I know it sounds kinda weird. I usually just bring a book with me and read while they fangirl over the guys.

I reached into my bag and grabbed my book. Then I stood up and followed Ashley to the football field. Megan and Hannah were the only ones sitting in the bleachers. They were on the second row and they were talking to each other in hushed voices. I climbed up the stairs and took a seat next to Hannah who smiled and said "ok, look over there, he's the one wearing the football shirt with the number 7 on it." I turned to search the field for the guy she was talking about.

Right as I found him he turned and looked at us. Him and I made eye contact and he smirk, waving at all of us. Ashley giggled "oh my god! He just saw us!"

"Calm down, act cool you don't want him to know we like him" replied Megan. "Uh oh, he's walking over here. Nobody freak out" Hannah nervously exclaimed. I wanted to burst out laughing at how ridiculous they sound. I could barely hold back my laughter and felt a smile spread across my face. As the new kid got closer I got a better look of what he looks like, he had brown hair with natural blonde highlights, he had a huge smile on his face, and he was a couple inches taller then me.

"Uh, hi. I'm Matthew, I saw you guys watching us so I-never mind that, what's your names?" He hesitated before added the 's' to names and looked directly at me. I could feel my cheeks start to burn. There was an awkward silence and thank god Megan spoke up. "I'm Megan, and this is Ashley, Hannah, and Hazel." He looked down the line of us then directed his eyes back to me. "Do you guys wanna go throw some football with us?" He asked gesturing towards the field behind him.

"We'd love to but we haven't eaten yet. Maybe next time though" Ashley spoke up for us. This is my chance. I had felt that something good was going to happen and maybe this is it. Maybe we could be something. My stomach churned at the idea of him and I. "I um, I already ate, while I waited for you guys. I can go play" I spoke up after a couple seconds of awkward silence. I turned to look at my friends and saw that they were a little angry. I knew they would be but what the hell? If their my true friends they'll stay my friends.

I looked back to Matthew and saw that his face was gleaming. "Alright, let's go." I followed him down the bleachers. One of my old foster homes, my favorite one, the dad used to play a miniature version of football with me so I was kind of good at it now. That was back when I was 7, I lived with them for 6 years till the dad died and the mom gave me up for adoption.

We got down to the field and the football team turned around to greet me. "Oh look at you, already got yourself a girl" said one of them. Matthew got a little red then stated "no, she just wants to play football." They started laughing and someone from the back said "she'll get crumbled." Matthew shook his head "not in the drills she won't. You guys haven't even warmed up yet it's not safe to start without warming up."