Chapter 7 - Beach

Start from the beginning

I grinned and looked down at my lap. "I do."

"Well.. there was this one memory that I thought of, but I resisted from telling you." He shifted in his seat nervously and left his jaw hanging. "It was um.. that time in preschool and you had that obsessive crush on me?"

"Ohh," I moan and tuck my knees onto the chair so I could curl up into a ball. "Please don't bring that up."

He laughed half-heartedly. "Just hear me out." he sighed. "I remember how every guy would be jealous of me for having a girl like you crush on me so much. And I never understood was the big deal was." he paused. "...Until I found out you started liking Ryan in 7th grade."

I was silent. I didnt know how to respond.

Jason exhaled and shook his head. "You know, nevermind. Forget I said anything."

"What? No!" I said a little too panicked. "Tell me!"

He continued to shake his head. "Im sorry. Im just not ready yet."

I looked him blankly for a few seconds then slammed my back against the chair. "Fine," I said.

We were quiet for the next couple minutes until finally, Jason parked in front of a beach. It was a beach him, Danielle,  and I would always visit to as children.

"Oh my god, Jason," I said.

"Recognize it?" he asked.

"How can I forget it?" I said as I unlocked my seatbelt and stepped out of the car.

I breathed in the fresh winding air that brushed across my skin and smiled as all the memories came rushing back.

Jason stepped out of his car and began walking towards the sand. I followed.

The beach had no one else but me and him, for that it wasnt the most recommended beach that families or anyone would want to go to. Terrains surrounded it and assured danger to those who weren't cautious. But the adventures we took were the reasons we always came back.

I walked down a jagged rock wall and kicked off my black sneakers as I placed my bare feet into the sand. Little bits of rocks and wood chips pressed sharply against my skin and made walking kind of painful, but after 10 years of going here it was something I got used to. I sunk both my feet into the spring coolness of the lake's water and closed my eyes to the fresh sensation it brought to my skin. After a day of stress and sweat, it was good to cool down.

I turned my head towards Jason. He stood with his arms crossed, smiling at me while leaning his weight on one hip.

I looked at him curiously. "What are you looking at?" I asked.

He looked away then turned his head back, not once breaking his smile. "Nothing," he said.

I was still confused, but I let it slide and rolled my eyes. I stepped my feet back onto the cool, dry sand and started walking up to Jason. As I did, I stopped suddenly and my eyes widened. This time, Jason looked at me curiously.

"What is it?" he asked.

I held out my pointer finger while trying to find words. "Do you remember the time when we made a time capsule?" I asked.

He was confused for a while but then his eyes widened just as mines and his jaw dropped. "I completely forgot about those," he said, almost speechless.

"Do you remember where we buried them?" I asked.

His body turned in all directions until his feet finally started making its way to a certain spot. I grabbed my shoes and hung them by my finger tips before jogging behind him.