Plot

The plot of a story can be the most challenging aspect of writing. Creating a story that has never been done before, while also making it pleasing to be read, can seem next to impossible. But so many people have done it. People like me and you, who have grown up wanting to be an author. Wanting that small chance at fame and glory, or just wanting to see their name in a book store. Look around you at a bookstore. So many different people, so many different stories. Each one formed by the person's past, present, or future. Each plot surprisingly different. How did they all do it? The answer is, I don't know. There are close to two thousand different words in the English language, and they can be arranged in nearly endless patterns. The patterns are what make up books.

The plot is not composed of one single sentence. If you attempt to tell a friend about a book they should read with only using one sentence, you will find that it is impossible for the person to understand the magnificence of the book. It is also best to use vivid vocabulary and descriptive words when proving how amazing the book you want your friend to read is. You wouldn't say, "The prince went to the tower to rescue the princess." More likely you would stand on a table, describing exactly how the prince got to the tower, how beautiful the princess is, and getting your friend entranced with the idea of this book. Advertisements use this method all the time, using descriptive language to make the listener consider the product.

When you write the story, the plot probably won't immediately flow from your fingers. You have to sit down and think first. You have your characters, but you need to figure out what they do. This is always the hardest part for me, and many others. More often than not you won't find yourself stuck on a train, watching some cows graze in a pasture, and realize you have a complete plot waiting in your head. It takes time. The first step is to decide what you want your story to be about. Is it about castles and magical beasts, or is it about real world problems. Then you write whatever comes to you. Don't add any characters, just describe the plot from beginning to end. It is especially important to figure out the end early on, or you will get stuck. Many people never finish most of the stories they begin to write, because they don't have that perfect ending. Once you have the plot, you can make an outline. Then begin to add characters. The person you talked about who found the magical sword now has a name, a face, and a life. Slowly the world around you comes into focus. Now that you have an idea, you need a place to put it all.