dakota & alexis

to everyone else, she was the slut. the whore, the skank, whatever you want to call it. but to me, she was everything. I belonged to her. at least I liked to think that I did. I loved her. I loved her with everything in my being. my whole heart and soul. and I couldn't live without her.

her name was Alexis. I had known her for years. she had been my best friend since 7th grade, and she had always been extremely important to me. she struggled with an eating disorder through middle school and I always tried to be there for her. working through it together formed a bond between us that wasn't easily broken.

but now it was something more. I don't really know how it happened, but over the course of those years, I fell in love with her. and by some crazy miracle she claimed to love me too. but maybe I shouldn't call that a miracle. in a lot if ways it was more like a curse.

she was number one in my life. if I could spend every waking moment with her, I would have. and I didn't care what anybody said.

chapter 1

dakota's POV

"happy valentines day, dahlia." I heard josh's familiar voice whisper in my ear. I turned from my locker, startled, and saw him standing before me with a bouquet of roses in one hand and I hoc of chocolates in the other. my heart swelled with appreciation and I leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"thanks," I said softly.

Josh was my boyfriend. we were both freshman, and we had been together on and off for about a year. I did love him, but our relationship wasn't exactly, well, healthy. we fought 24/7 and broke up and got back together about once a month. the only reason I kept taking him back was the familiarity and security. for me, the spark had left a long time ago.

so, I did LOVE Josh, but I was not IN love with him. even when I did think that I was in love with him it didn't even compare to my feelings for...someone else.

I was in love with my best friend. Alexis. Ah, warmth engulfed me at just the thought of her name. I knew that she was bisexual, but there were so many guys all over her at all times that I just didn't try. and I didn't want to hurt Josh. besides, I was hardly her type.

speak of the devil, just as I was completely lost in thought about her, she walked by in all her flawlessness. I tried to stare as discretely ad possible as she passed me.

god, she was beautiful. dirty blonde hair, an amazing body (she could stand to gain some weight though in my opinion), huge and captivating bright blue eyes and absolutely perfect lips. her lips were my favorite thing about her and I dreamed about tasting them day and night.

she continued past me to her locker and when she finished putting some books away she came up behind me. she wrapped her arms around my stomach and hugged me from behind. "good morning!" she said cheerfully.

oh my goodness. with her arms around me my heart started racing and I felt as if I was going to pass out. I tried my best to keep my face from betraying my emotions. I couldn't let either of them know what I was thinking.

when she let go of me she noticed Josh's gifts in my hands. "awh!" she exclaimed. "did you get those for her, Josh? that was very sweet of you."

Josh smiled. "thanks Alexis. I was hoping she'd like them." he glanced and me and looked concerned. "you ok Dakota?"

I came back to reality. my mind had been lost in thoughts and fantasies about Alexis. I guess I looked a bit out of it.

"yeah, I'm fine babe. thanks again for the flowers. they're beautiful." I gave him my best fake smile and he seemed fooled. I hugged him and the bell rang. phew, saved by the bell, I thought to myself. "well I better get to English."