Chapter 20: La Rose Noire

Start from the beginning

"And who the hell are you!?" Pablo asked.

The man slowly turned his masked face towards Pablo. "Who am I you ask? My dear sir I am quite appalled by this notion, by this very question! But I suppose our charade must come to an end." He swiped the mask from his face in a flash, did a full spin and stopped. His face was young and handsome with a neatly trimmed moustache and a mischievious smile.

Henry knew who it was right from the start. The man in charge of this place.

"I am none other than Sander Cohen! And I come here to greet you all to my world. Welcome to Fort Frolic!" he shouted happily to the crowds of people below.

Everyone cheered and laughed at Cohen's little show.

"How did he do that?" someone whispered.

"I dunno, but the guy seems a little looney." another said.

"Well of course he's looney, he is a magician after all." a small lady chimed in.

Henry didn't know how Cohen did the magnificent trick. He walked up the steps to greet his neighbour. "Always something new with you huh Sander?"

Cohen turned around. "Ah, so the Tinkerer has finally come to my sanctuary. How wonderful!" he beamed.

"I gotta say I'm impressed."

"Of course you are, the duty of the artist is to seduce the ear and delight the senses. In Fort Frolic everyone submits to their cravings for tasteful material. The beautiful hum of melodies coursing through the halls, the slight ring of the shops, and of course the wild mannerisms of gambling and intoxication. But listen to me ramble on, please my friend, enjoy your stay, I've made it a point for all business within the Fort to allow you certain...discounts on all wares and items."

"What have I done to deserve this generosity?"

Cohen laughed. "You are the Tinkerer my good fellow! A man who created paradise for all, including  my sanctuary, think of it as my way of saying thank you."

Henry looked a little astonished. "I really don't know what to say Sander, thanks."

Cohen waved away any concern. "Please Henry, enjoy your stay in Fort Frolic, your colleagues look anxtious, better hurry back to them, until next time, I bid you farewell." he said bowing so low his hat almost fell off.

Henry nodded and walked down the stairs to find his five friends staring at him.

"What?" he asked innocently.

"You just walked up to Sander fucking Cohen, the guy in charge of this place like he was your god damn best friend!" Pablo spluttered.

Henry didn't see the big deal in it. "He's actually my neighbour, but what's your point?"

"Jesus Hank, you gotta know some fat cats in high places to be talking so easily to those kinds of people. People like that don't even give us a second glance, let alone a conversation!"

"You wanna make a name for yourself? Start by coming in to work on time. It's how I did it, and it's because of that habit I got where I am today."

The five men stood silent.

Henry laughed and put an encouraging hand on Pablo's shoulder. "Hey, but you boys work hard I'll give you that. Now, I came out tonight to have a good time, so show me where you guys drink, gamble, dance, smoke or whatever it is you do around here to have a good time!"

The men grinned widely at ech other. "I think we best be headin' over to Eve's Apple for a bit of entertainment eh boys?" Pablo said slyly.

"I hear La Rose Noire is on for tonight!" Mikael added excitedly.