Klaus clenches his jaw and looks back at Derek. "Keep an eye on him. I need to speak with Elijah."

"Sure. I've been wanting to talk with him since Lexi mentioned him." Derek comments as Klaus walks out.

"So, Mr. Hale." Tristan lets his lips turn up into a smirk. "What can I do for you?"

"What happened?" Derek demands.

"Excuse me?"

"What happened between you and my girlfriend?" Derek repeats, this time with more malice.

"I think you know." Tristan laughs bitterly. "It seems you two are all Aurora talks about. How she can hear you all the time—" Derek cuts him off but grabbing his shirt.

"Watch what you say," Derek growls. "I have canines that can rip you apart in seconds."

"But you won't," Tristan replies smugly. "For Alexis."

"I don't think she'll mind very much." Derek's eyes glow blue as Tristan finally starts to panic.

"Fine. I'll tell you what happened." Tristan relents, pushing away from Derek. "As you know, Alexis is very good at many things. She was the most beautiful woman in the room when we met. I remember walking in and seeing her out of the corner of my eye. She tried not to seem interested, but I wore her down. I courted her for months, slowly but surely making her fall in love with me."

"I don't care about that," Derek grumbles, even though Tristan ignores him.

"Then came the day that I found Lucien in Aurora's chambers. Alexis calmed me, and we made a promise to each other. Do you know what that was?" Tristan asks, a wicked smile on his face. "She was terrified of Mikael, mind you, and the only place she felt safe was with me." Derek stays silent, just glaring at him. "She was going to run away with me."

"Yeah, right." Derek scoffs.

"We both know that when she's passionate about something, she won't let it go." Tristan sighs. "That happened to be me. But then Mikael came and destroyed our plans."

South France, 1002

Lexi runs down the halls of the castle, tears streaming down her face. She can hear her brothers calling after her, but she ignores them, her mind set on finding Tristan.

She suddenly crashes into a broad chest. She stumbles back, only for strong arms to catch her. "Alexis?" Tristan asks, steadying her. "What's happened? Why are you crying?"

"I can't go with you." She sobs. Tristan's eyes widen as he pulls her into his bedchambers, closing the door behind them.

"Alexis, what has happened? What do you mean you can't come with me?" Tristan demands, searching her eyes.

"Father, he— Mikael's found us." She cries, her breathing ragged. "Elijah is making us leave, tonight. I can't run with you, I can't risk you getting hurt."

"No, you must. I can keep you safe—"

"No, you can't!" Lexi yells. Tristan is taken aback by her behavior, making her cry more. "I-I am sorry. A-All I want i-is to be here with you, Tristan."

"Alexis, you are not listening. Elijah has made me like you, I truly can protect you." He stresses, only for Lexi to shake her head furiously.

"Mikael will kill you because of me. I cannot let that happen, Tristan!" She tells him, grabbing onto him anywhere she can. "If you have feelings for me and Mikael finds out..." She shakes her head, looking into his eyes. "You must forget you love me, please! It's for your own safety, Tristan. I can't lose you as well."