Finally (Part 28)

Start from the beginning

"Once he's out of hospital he can help us with planning your party aye?" You suggest.

"A party?!" Isla squeals excitedly and comes running over to you. "Is there a party? I want to go!"

"Shhh, yes sweetie there is." You chuckle. "Luke's 10th birthday is coming up so he's going to have some friends over."

"Will there be cake and games?" She gasps and jumps up and down.

"Yes." You beam.

"Yay!" She screams and runs around. "Yay yay yay yay!"

Everyone laughs a little at her excitement.

"You would think its her party with all this fuss." Peggy jokes.

"At least someone's happy at the moment." You remark. "I'm so glad Theo's such a chilled out baby. I couldn't handle a crying fit right now."

"Same with Sarah." Peggy nods.

                               ~~~~

You end up waiting in the waiting room for a long time. In fact until it's quite late. Peggy apologised for leaving but she had to take Sarah home for bed a few hours ago. So now it's just you and Steve with Theo asleep in your arms, Island curled up asleep in Steve's lap and Luke in between you guys, asleep with his head on your shoulder. That's how it's been for a while now. Even though it has been a long, exhausting day it really is that late that you're struggling to stay awake yourself, only your nerves are keeping you up.

You didn't expect things to take this long nor was it meant to. A doctor came out earlier and told you there was complications and it was more serious than they first thought. Of course that only made you feel worse.

You find yourself nodding off continuously, everything just catching up on you; the stress of this plus the already accumulating lack of sleep that comes with a new born. But you want to stay awake, just in case of news.

"(Y/N)," Steve murmurs quietly as your head droops one more time only for you to snap it back up and attempt to flutter your heavy eyelids back open but they keep fighting you.

"Hm?" You mumble sleepily.

"Go to sleep. You need it. I'll wake you if there's any news." He smiles kindly.

"But what about you? You've just been on a mission." You protest but sleep is so tempting.

"I can't sleep. Never can usually the night after a mission. Too much on my mind, so many different scenarios. Especially this time," he explains.

"Oh," is all you can think to say in your tired state.

"Go to sleep (Y/N/N)," he repeats with a smile.

But you hardly hear because you're already drifting off.

                              ~~~~

"(Y/N)," a voice whispers. "(Y/N)."

Someone shakes your shoulder gently.

"Huh? What?" You mumble as you bolt upright and look around at your surroundings confused.

Oh that's right, you're in the S.H.I.E.L.D. hospital.

"He's awake. They wanted to wait until he woke up from the surgery before coming to get us to make sure he was okay. They said you guys can go see him when your ready," Steve explains.

"What about you?" You frown drowsily, looking at the clock it must've been about an hour since you fell asleep.

"I'll wait here." He shrugs.

"Steve." You sigh guiltily. "You've been sat in this seat patiently since you got back. "You are family. You're coming with us."

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Positive. Now come on." You smile.

You both wake the kids and start walking to Bucky's room with Isla on Steve's hip and Theo on yours and Luke holding you hand.

"They said he will be drowsy but he wants to see us before going to sleep," Steve says.

"Understandably." You nod.

"Mum does it look bad?" Luke asks nervously.

"Hun, you won't even be able to tell." You assure him and squeeze his hand.

The five of you come to his door and give two light knocks before tentatively opening the door and peeking inside. It looks like Bucky's asleep, his head slightly propped up on his pillow and lolling to the side with his eyes resting closed.

You're just about to leave him be when Isla pipes up.

"Is daddy okay?" She asks rather loudly.

"Shh!" You turn to her and hush her but when you turn back to Bucky you see him open one of his eyes and squint at you guys before smiling and shuffling to sit up causing a wince to come from him.

"Hey." He croaks once he settles. "What are you doing just standing there?"

You break into a smile and walk over to his bedside. He motions for you to pass Theo to him and Isla climbs out of Steve's arms and tucks herself into - luckily - his good side. You press a kiss to his forehead.

"I'm so glad you're okay," you whisper as you pull away.

"Hey Steve," he looks up at him sheepishly.

"I'm always picking up after you aren't I?" He teases.

Bucky chuckles and shakes his head, turning to Luke.

"Hey bud." He smiles softly. "Looks like you're gonna have to be the man of the house for a bit huh? I went and put myself out of action."

"Yeah cos he's a stupid jerk." Steve grins earning a light nudge that Bucky can manage from where he lays.