Finally (Part 28)

Start from the beginning

"I-is he okay?" He asks apprehensively.

"No." You choke out, unable to hold it back any longer. "No he's not."

Luckily no one else is around because you drop to your knees and embrace Luke in a hug with your free arm, struggling to fight back your tears.

"Why? What happened?" Luke asks with worry.

"He was stabbed in the side with a knife." You pull back and swallow.

"Is he going to be okay?" He frowns concerned, his voice rising anxiously.

"I hope so. You know Bucky, he's going to be fine." You try to calm yourself hoarsely.

"Yeah I'm sure he'll be okay mum," Luke pulls you back into a hug. "Have you seen him?"

"Yes. He was asking for you." You smile weakly at him. "Now come on, let's go see him."

                               ~~~~

"I guess this is a bad time to ask about my birthday party again then huh?" Luke asks sheepishly from the backseat as you drive to the hospital.

"Huh?" You ask in a daze, your mind elsewhere for obvious reasons.

"I won't be getting a birthday party now will I? Not with dad in hospital and all right?" He sighs sadly.

"No Luke sweetie of course you will be!" You assure him guiltily. He deserves one. "Whether your father is okay or not we will give you a birthday party next weekend. So your birthday is on the Friday and your party is on the Saturday. How does that sound?" You smile hopefully.

"Are you sure? What if dads still in hospital?" He asks hopefully.

"I'm sure he will be out by then or at least I hope he is. But if he's not don't you worry, he will get himself out to make sure he's there for your party. There's no way he will want you missing out because of him and I don't want you to go without either," you say.

"Okay. Thank you so much. I love you both." He smiles happily, his face lighting up but then it falls again. "I guess there are some downsides to being a superhero huh?" He says dully.

"Yes sweetie. Yes there definitely are." You agree gravely.

                               ~~~~

When you get to the hospital Luke slips his hand into yours as you walk through the doors. You smile kindly down at him and he gives you a nervous look. You can tell he's worried.

You make your way back to Peggy, Steve and the other kids to find Isla sitting in the little play pen contently playing and actually looking a lot happier.

"My god people are going to start thinking we are running a daycare," you joke as you walk over to them.

Steve shakes his head and let's out a breathy laugh.

"Any news?" You ask hopefully.

"Not a word." He huffs.

"I'm sure he will be out soon though," Peggy offers and puts a hand on yours as you sit in the chair beside you.

To your surprise Luke sits himself in the chair beside you.

"Hey Luke you excited to have your dad home?" Steve asks as happily as he can.

"Yeah. I just hope he's going to be alright." He sighs dully.

"Aw he will be fine. Your dads strong like that." Steve smiles and nudges him.