Finally (Part 27)

Start from the beginning

Suddenly it's like a switch flicks and the whole room goes from being silent and frozen to everyone springing into action. All kinds of doctors run towards the two super soldiers and you kind of get shoved out of the way, but then all of a sudden Isla jumps out of Peggy's arms and goes running through the crowd.

"Isla no!" You shout and chase after her.

"Daddy!" She wails and goes running through everyone's legs towards him.

At this, Bucky's ears prick up and he looks around, confused by the sound of his daughters voice that he of course recognises. He wouldn't of expected her to be here. He probably wouldn't of expected anyone to be here.

"Daddy! You're here! I missed you!" She cries, a mixture between excitement and tears because she's so overwhelmed with everything.

Bucky zeros in on her just as she breaks through the front of the crowd and runs right to him, wrapping her arms around his legs and hugging them. You catch up and stand just in front of them and watch as Bucky winces when he tries to lean down and greet her in reply, it clearly causes him a lot of pain. Instead he kind of just reaches down and pats her on the head, although this clearly hurts him too.

Tears well up in your eyes and you can't help but feel guilty when he looks up at you with a why did you have to bring her look on his face. Of course he doesn't want his own kids to see him like this but you were just so caught off guard and so upset that you didn't have a choice.

She cries as she hangs on to him but you know that he needs to get seen immediately so you go and carefully pull her away. Bucky literally looks like he's getting worse by the second.

"Isla, come on baby, daddy needs to get seen now." You say as you take her hand.

Bucky smiles gratefully and sheepishly at you. "Hey," he mumbles in a quiet, gravelly voice.

Soon a stretcher is rolled over to him and Bucky stumbles forward and practically collapses onto it, unable to stand for another moment. Steve helps him completely onto it and he passes out almost instantly.

"Buck?" You whimper weakly and grab his hand that is just limp in yours. "Buck?" You ask more frantically.

"Just leave him (Y/N), he'll be okay. He's in good hands." Steve huffs and lays a supportive hand on your shoulder as two nurses start to roll the stretcher away and his hand slips out of yours and hangs off the side of the stretcher.

Isla hangs onto your leg and starts to cry again, Theo is just looking around all confused, you can't hold back the tears any longer, Steve looks exhausted and full of dread and Peggy looks completely shell shocked. You lean against Steve's shoulder and start to sob again. Peggy comes over and takes Theo from you who is starting to get upset because you are too - what can you expect from a three week old?

"There, there (Y/N/N). He'll be okay. He'll pull through," he whispers and kisses the top of your head.

"He looked worse than I thought he would." You cry.

Steve doesn't reply.

"Mrs Barnes?" A nurse asks coming up to you with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Yes?" You sniffle and straighten up, wiping your eyes.

"If you'd like to follow me. We thought you might like to see your husband and we can explain his injuries to you?" She offers kindly.

"O-oh, yes of course." You mumble and nod. "U-um." You look around helplessly wondering what to do with Isla and Theo and feeling completely lost.