Chapter One

My alarm clock rang. I hated being woken up in the morning. I lifted my hand pushing the snooze button.

"Iris. Up." my grandmother yelled into my room. I snuggled deeper into my bed. I could feel Ares, my phoenix, warming up the bedroom. He nudged my head telling me to get up.

"Nooo" I groaned. It was another school day. It was Friday, I would be able to sleep in tomorrow. Ares put his head on my chest. I opened my eyes. There was a light fire around him. It wasn't very bright.

He suddenly slipped out of the covers pulling them along with him. I groaned loudly. I rolled out of my bed, realizing today was the day. My bedroom was dark which didn't help since I was still sleepy. I opened the curtains letting in some sunlight.

"Are you up?" my grandmother called through the door.

"Yes" I answered. I grabbed my clothing and got dressed. I was excited since today was the day that the new Guardians would be announced. The Guardians would be chosen to protect the Prince and they would be with him when he became King.

I made sure I looked decent enough for today's event. I had brown hair and brown eyes. I didn't quite look like my parents. Their picture was on my dresser. I was average height. I was rather slender which I didn't like.

I could tell Ares was downstairs. I could hear him chirping to my grandmother. She had probably made breakfast and he was begging for some.

"I'm so excited Grandma!" I squealed as I walked in. "Who do you think will be chosen?"

It was exciting to see the selection of the new Guardians. It happened every hundred fifty years or so. Today was the day that those born the same day as the Prince would be named.

"Three Guardians" my grandmother rolled her eyes. My grandmother had long white hair that was normally in a long ponytail. She had bright blue eyes. She was a tall woman with a headstrong attitude. Even I was intimated by her sometimes. "I don't see the big deal, Iris"

"Grandma. You've probably seen a lot of them" I shook my head at her. I served myself some cereal. "This will be my first time."

"I've only ever seen two" my grandmother laughed. "I'm not that old Iris" I gave her a side-glance. Right.

"Grandma. Imagine the three that are chosen, they are more famous then the Royal family" I answered. I was so excited. This evening couldn't come fast enough.

"They are not that famous. I will pick you up later okay" my grandmother told me. "Come straight home."

"Yes. Yes" I answered, distractedly wondering about the selection. Their names wouldn't be released until much later but it was still exciting.

"I have to finish some paperwork.I shouldn't take long.Come straight home okay" my grandmother kissed my forehead. I nodded finishing up my cereal. Ares finished the leftovers and I grabbed my backpack.

"Ready" I turned to him. He gave me an ugly look but he jumped on my hand when I held it out. He slithered up my arm attaching himself like a tattoo. He wrapped himself around my waist.

"Don't twitch." I told him. I felt him lift his head in reply. Ares had belonged to my father and my father's father. He had been in our family a very long time. Ares was ancient, he was supposed to be ending his life soon. He was starting to look tired and wary. He would rejuvenate from his ashes soon.

School was packed when I arrived. Everybody was talking about the announcement of the Guardians. Ahead of me I could see a large crowd. I knew who would be in the middle of it.

William, the prince, was with his buddies Ezra and Thomas. William looked just like a quarterback should. He was very good looking with brown eyes and he had short cropped hair. Ezra and Thomas were opposites of each other. Ezra had a playful demeanor while Thomas was more serious. I had gone to school with them since I could remember. I had only spoken to them a few times.