Wait for Me to Come Home - Luktra

Told from Lukas's point of view, and inspired by Ed Sheeran's song Photograph.

Jesse whoops and glides to a stop. The Elytra on her back close just as I hit the ground rolling next to her. "That was AWESOME," she pants, laughing.

I lay flopped on the ground, a small smile on my face. One of the Beacontowners took a trip to the End and found these Elytra there. After he came back, he asked us to test them out, so here we are.

Petra dives straight for the ground and begins tipping upward, trying to soften her landing. She's too late, and hits the dirt hard, skidding three blocks before stopping, lying facing away from us. I rush over with worry breathing down my neck. She can't be dead, she can't be, can't be, can't. I kneel next to her, grabbing her shoulder, shaking her, hoping she isn't dead or unconscious, breathing way too quickly. Just as I'm leaning forward to check her heartbeat, she turns and begins to sit up but pauses as she sees me, our faces just inches from each other.

"Gotcha," she whispers, grinning, and pokes me in the side.

"I thought you were dead!" I say after recovering from falling back. "Never do that to me again!"

"Don't worry about me," she says quietly, touching my arm. "I can handle myself, even while worrying about you." Her mouth snaps shut and she's silent. We sit there quietly until something makes a strange beeping noise.

I jump up and swing my head, trying to figure out the source of the noise. "Hey, Lukas, calm yourself. Just my wristband alert."

"Wristband alert?" I wonder, looking at the leather band she's had around her arm for ages. "How's it work? Is it radio-activated, or satellite, or-"

She clamps her hand over my mouth. "I have absolutely no idea. Jack installed it for me a little while ago, as an alert for when we're going to plan another adventure."

I remove her hand. "Jack?"

"Right. You haven't met him yet. Here, I'll introduce you to him later."

"If he messes with you, I'll make sure he doesn't ever again."

"Hey, Lukas, stop worrying about me! I'll be fine. Jack's a good guy, he won't hurt me."

I sigh, noticing that Jesse, Axel, and Olivia have left. "I'm just nervous about you traipsing off into the wilderness with some people who may not be trustworthy."

She stands and helps me up, and we walk back towards Beacontown. "I promise you, Lukas. I'll be perfectly fine."

-short time skip--

I sit up from the bed, giving up on trying to fall asleep. Taking a walk in the middle of the night might seem like a stupid idea, but it's helped me before. Shutting the doors of the Order's hall behind me, I take a breath and begin to wander the streets, observing the nightlife.

A pair of boys, probably in their teenage years, are working together on a statue with a girl roughly their age. Another pair of people, slightly older, are practicing their sparring, one with a sword, and the other with an axe. The dull smacking of wood on wood echoes through the alleyways, and I pull out one of my books and start writing, inspired. The sheer variety of the buildings, from short, hollowed-out statues to giant floating whales and hamburgers, is astounding in its representation of human creativity.

I turn a corner and return the book to my inventory, looking back up. A flash of orange catches my attention, and I whirl to the left, chasing after the color. A minute passes, and I finally see the source of the color. Petra is walking with Jack, Nurm, and another man in dark blue toward the gates. Jack is holding a torch, revealing the reason I could see Petra's hair. She glances back while speaking and halts mid-sentences, looking at me.

"I'll catch up to you," I hear her say as she runs back to me. She stops less than a block away and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"You're leaving now?" I ask, and one of my eyes goes blurry. And now you're crying, something inside me says.

"I promise, Lukas. I'll be back." Almost hesitantly, she cups the side of my face.

"But... so soon?"

She smiles sadly, closing her eyes, and kisses me under the lamppost. A few too-short moments later, she pulls away and looks at me with something glinting in her eyes. Tears, I realize as she whispers, "Just... wait for me to come home."

---
Hi! First finished oneshot here. This was surprisingly easy to write compared to Jetra and Lukesse. But hey, whatever. Once I get those two out of the way, I'll open up the stage for requests.

This oneshot was inspired by Ed Sheeran's song Photograph. I recommend you guys listen to it.

Bai!
--Ruby, who feels like she should be saying something else too but doesn't remember what.