Chapter 10

At two-thousand and three hundred feet tall, the palace complex dominated the valley of the Manaas. While the ship landed outside the protective shield around it, Añil Treshreem observed the activity around its towers. Hundreds of winged beings dotted the ground, but none of them could cross the invisible shield; there was no gate more effective than this one. A few miles from the castle, the military base Startos -it's first line of defense against external attacks- was visible thanks to the ships and thopters that arrived or took off from their hangars, since most of the complex was underground. Only the buildings on the west that made up the academy were visible.

Once on land, the welcoming party -a group of officers thoroughly examining every person, belonging, permit, invitation, and each object found on board- went to greet the visitors.

The inspection was exhaustive and annoying for frequent travellers, but that was not reason enough to avoid it. It was the only way to make sure that no weapon was taken into the palace. When it came to security, the Royal Guard was the best anywhere; it was so rigorous that visitors were not allowed to bring perfume or toothpaste in their carry-on bags. In case if medicine, cleaning supplies, robots or tools -allowed only to authorized personnel-, they added several control checks and a waiting period that discouraged anyone.

"You can come down now," the guards told them.

Treshreem sighed, and walked to the next security check: the gate, where he would find Carl Jendal.

On ground level, the complex was surrounded by a wall fifty feet high, and twenty feet thick. Twelve watchtowers held the shield generators. There was not even an inch between the top of the wall and the base of the energy shield, but at the gates transit was free for both vehicles and Elohans. Guards were the only obstacle here.

In the control station, he went through another visual and manual inspection, and he was asked to go through a special scanner. They were so meticulous that the guards inside the castle had little to worry about.

His heart rate rose when the suitcase that held the crucial alien artifact was examined. It's non metallic composition fooled the scanner, but it could still appear suspicious to the guards. He fought to keep his face straight, and took a deep breath. It was showtime.

Carl Jendal barely looked at him, passed his hands through the clothes in the suitcase, and inspected the contents through touch. If he felt the small shells, he didn't show it.

"All clear." He passed it to the next man. Unfortunately, he wasn't the only one who would look through his luggage that night.

"Welcome, minister, your pass is active," he was greeted, as he was given his access card. His face was well known there. He travelled so often that sometimes the guards apologized for the inconvenient procedure. But that day the rigorous protocol was especially important, for it was the day of the ball in honor of the Queen's fertility, and the palace was almost literally the safest place in the planet.

Almost.

"It looks like it will snow soon," commented Treshreem, trying to distract the guard.

"No partner for the ball, sir?" asked Jendal, catching on.

"I am an unattached bachelor." He fixed his coat. Having a wife was against the rules of the Junpaih Order, however, Treshreem -as one of the lords of the Order- had allowed himself a concubine. Or perhaps he should call her his sex slave, Ginhy. Bringing her to the palace was unthinkable. His nephew, Nicah, had begged him to take him so he could rub elbows with the nobility for the first time, but it was impossible. Their relationship must remain a secret for the sake of their plan.