chapter two

Effy was sick to death of her parents. She was sick of them not letting her make her own decisions and still treating her like a ten year old instead of a seventeen year old.

Effy was now approaching the school gates. Before she entered she threw her cigarette butt onto the ground. Effy was definitely not allowed to smoke, if she go caught her parents would kill her for ruining their reputation. To her it was the only way to deal with the stress, she had no one to talk to.

Michael decided he should turn up at school today since he had nothing better to do. He walked through the school gates, everyone either glared or pulled a face in his direction as he walked into school. He didn't mind it to much, he was completely used to it by now. He would always be the weird, screwed up kid.

-

After the bell went for first period Michael and Effy both started walking opposite directions to their first class of the day.

"Oi, watch were you're going Michael" she scolded after they ran into each other.

Effy rarely spoke to Michael, he was rarely at school but they both knew the didn't get along very well together.

"Sorry Effy" he replied simply

Effy just shook her head and continued walking to class. Michael changed his direction and started walking along beside her even though his class was the other way.

"What are you doing Michael? you're going the wrong way, You're going to be late for class" Effy asked him slightly confused

Michael chuckled, shaking his head.

"Effy, you must know I don't do 'class'".

"Whatever, but quit following me"

"Okay"

she walked into the lesson, looking back at Michael who was leaning against the door way smirking.

-

The rest of the day Michael followed Effy around, eager to know more about her. She would constantly tell him to piss off but he wouldn't take it. Effy couldn't wait to get home, away from Michael.

Once the bell rang Effy sighed in relief. She picked up her stuff and walked out the school.

When Effy arrived home she was greeted by a very angry looking mother.

"Mum? What's wrong?" Effy asked suspiciously

Effy's mum looked extremely mad at this point. She held up a half empty box of cigarettes, effy now understanding why she looked so angry.

"You tell me, Effy! What is this?!"

"Mum I -"

"No Effy! Do you have any idea how bad this would effect our reputation if somebody found out what you were doing?" Her mum bellowed.

"I don't care about your reputation, mum!

I'm 17, I should be allowed to make my own decisions!" Effy screamed back furiously.

"Effy I do not want to hear it! You're an immature little brat! If you wanted to be treated like a 17 year old girl, start acting like one first!"

"You bitch!" She screeched at her mother

Without thinking Effy's mum slapped her right across the face, immediately regretting it.

Tears were streaming down Effy's face, her eyeliner and mascara now smudged and running down her cheeks.

She turned towards the front door and ran. She ran for about 15 minutes, before stopping beside a tree trying to regain her breathe. She looked around, she had arrived at one of the many parks of the town and took a seat on a bench.

She sighed, reaching for a cigarette her mother hadn't found from her pocket and lighting it. She replayed what just happened over and over again.

"Gosh, I'm such a screw up" she mumbled to herself, the tears starting again

God, she was so sick of all the bullshit her parents put her through. Her mum didn't understand the fact the she wasn't perfect, that she couldn't do everything right all the time. She just couldn't cope with it all.

Michael was walking past at the time, spotting Effy and noticing her sobbing to herself on the park bench

Michael walked towards her, taking a seat on the bench.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Michael asked her rubbing her back gently trying to calm her down

"I've screwed up" she said quietly, keeping her head down and trying to hold back her tears.

"We've all screwed up" he replied.

Effy looked up at him, slightly annoyed at how he somehow managed to find her once again but still gave him a half smile.

-

They both sat there for another hour, but once it started getting dark they decided it was time to get home.

"Ugh, I really don't want to go back home, my parents are going to kill me"

Effy mumbled kicking at the rocks near her feet.

"Ah you can come back with me?" Michael offered slightly nervously.

"Yeah?" She replied glad he had offered.

"Yeah. it's fine, Come on" Michael said glad she had agreed.