4 | Past, Present, and Future

Start from the beginning

"Niklaus, release him," Elijah demands, only seeming to anger the hybrid more. "Please." After hesitating, Niklaus lets Tristan go and blinks away his monstrous features.

"See? We're not so different after all. You wish to protect your family. I wish to protect mine." Tristan turns back to Lucien, whip at the ready.

He begins whipping the poor boy more until additional footsteps are heard. Tristan does not stop, however, as another blonde's eyes frantically land on the scene. Niklaus and Elijah look both surprised and confused by the appearance. "Tristan!" Lexi screams, horror filling her voice. Tristan freezes, midway between bringing the whip down once more. He turns to face her, and his expression softens slightly, not going unnoticed by the others.

"What are you doing here, Alexis?" He demands, lowering the whip slowly.

"Rebekah told me she heard screams," Lexi tells him. "Stop this."

Tristan shakes his head and laughs humorlessly. "He deserves it." Tristan spits, looking back at Lucien with hate. "I am protecting my family, my sister."

"I understand, but you must stop this." Lexi pleads, glancing back at Niklaus. She knows that rather than Lucien attempting to win Aurora's affections, Niklaus had already successfully drawn her into his own bed.

"No," Tristan states forcefully. He raises his whip again, but Lexi catches his arm. He doesn't pull against her, but he does not look back at her.

"If what you have been saying these past few months were true, you will cease this punishment," she whispers.

"I wouldn't lie. Not to you." He grunts.

"Then, stop." He turns back, seeing her eyes filled with pain. "Please."

Tristan hesitates before throwing the whip to the ground. Everyone in the room lets out a breath they didn't know they were holding. Before Lexi realizes what he is doing, Tristan pulls out a blade. He creates a cut across Lucien's mouth from ear to ear.

Lucien screams in pain as Tristan forcefully pushes his head down and stomps out of the room. "Tristan!" Lexi calls out, going to run after him but is caught by Elijah.

"What was that?" Elijah's voice shakes with unknown emotion. Lexi stays quiet, swallowing her answer. "Go back to Rebekah, now. We will handle this."

"No," Lexi says simply, pulling her arm away and backing towards the exit Tristan just left from. Both siblings look shocked by her refusal. "No. No one knows him better than I."

"Go back to your room, Lexi," Niklaus repeats.

"No!" 

Before they can move, Lexi speeds out of the room and towards Tristan. "Stop right there." She orders, stopping him in the empty throne room.

He stops and turns around, fury in his expression. "After everything?" He questions, stepping towards her. "After everything we have done, you still choose to stand with those beasts!"

"Yes, yes I do because they are my family, Tristan. And, have you forgotten that I, myself, am one of those beasts?!" Lexi exclaims, tears in her eyes.

"No." He shakes his head, walking right up to her. "You are not a beast. You never were, Alexis."

"Why did you not stop?" Lexi's voice breaks as she speaks.

"Because I am protecting my sister, just as you protect your family," Tristan tells her, his eyes searching hers.

"He loves Aurora. Can't you see that?" Lexi asks.