Runaway from hell

Year 1979 |Lafayette, Indiana

        William Bailey just got out from school. He sat under a shady tree, watching the dried leaves fall down on the ground. Once he noticed that he's all alone, he dug into his backpack and took a drag from his pack of cigarettes.

      William was known for being a delinquent juvenile of Lafayette, arested for several times for public intoxication and battery. That triggered his mother and his religious step-father to bring him at a Christian school to have him disciplined. William doesn't want to be in that kind of place so he is now planning to run away with his best friend, Jeff Isbell.

        Actually, taking William to that Christian school won't change him because according to a psychiatrist, his delinquent attitude was actually an evidence of psychosis. 

      He is remarkable for his long, ginger hair that reaches his shoulders. His parents had once threatened him to kick him out of the house if he wouldn't cut his hair but he just laugh off his parent's disciplinary talks and stuffs because it doesn't work on him at all.

      While blowing a cloud of smoke into the air, he almost jumped from his place when he felt a tap on his shoulder.  

"Man, I was looking for you!"

     He looked up and saw his skinny friend with a dark, wavy hair standing beside the tree with his back pack hanging on his left shoulder.

"Shit, you scared the crap out of me" he stand up from the green grasses, brushing the dirt off his pants.

       A group of students on their bikes passed by, giving them stares and smirks.

William noticed them and his twisted mind won't let them get away without saying anything. "Mind your own businesses asholes!"

Jeff punched his arm, "Will, stop it!"

       The students faced away and sped off their bikes.

Hah, take that scaredy pussies!

"Are you on your way home?" Jeff muttered.

"Nope" he dropped the half-used cigarette on the ground, crushing it with his foot. "I'm leaving this place today"

Jeff gave him an amused look, "Are you serious?"

"I've already packed my stuffs, you should come with me. I can't leave you behind, buddy" William shrugged. Jeff thought for a while…

"Where will you go anyways?"

"At Los Angeles" William replied.

Jeff's eyes widened, "Woah, you should have told me earlier!"

"Uhm… I've just decided yesterday 'cause my parents were forcing me to move to a Christian school like it's gonna turn me into that oh so perfect individual they wanted me to be" William said sarcastically.

Jeff chuckled, "Shit, too bad for you. I would definitely come with you! Besides, I really wanna get outta this place so bad"

***

        They walked a little distance to Jeff's house, it's pretty quiet since his parents aren't around. They straightly headed upstairs, entering a door to his messy room. William stared at the empty boxes of pizza and beercans scattered on the floor and the undone bed at the corner of Jeff's room. He shook his head. What a mess…

"Don't mind that, I have no time to clean up" Jeff said as he hurriedly shove things in his bag.

William checked out his pocket, "Damn, I only have eighty bucks left, how much do you got there?"