The Lazarus Experiment - Three

Start from the beginning

"That's the thing Lazarus, I know fully well that there is no ordinary human." Rita hissed at him. Lazarus then screamed out in pain his body cracking even more loudly.

Martha whispered to the Doctor quietly. "He's going to change again any minute."

"I know. If I can get him up into the bell tower somehow, I've an idea that might work." The Doctor replied. Rita looked at him and the Doctor shook his head slowly his face extremely serious showing a hint of doubt.

"Up there?" Martha asked.

"You're so sentimental, Doctor, Stone. Maybe the two of you are older than you look." He hissed at them.

"I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired. Tired of the struggle, tired of losing everyone that matters to you." His eyes drifted over meeting hers. Rita gave a sad smile thinking that he was talking about home but he wasn't. He was talking about almost losing her. "Tired of watching everything turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone."

"That's a price worth paying." He hissed at the Doctor.

"Is it?"

"I will feed soon." Lazarus turned to the Doctor who slowly crouched down beside the man who was deeply breathing.

"I'm not going to let that happen." He calmly replied. His eyes growing soft.

"You've not been able to stop me so far." He hissed moving closer to the Doctor.

"Lazarus!" He whipped his head in the brunette's direction. "Your precious machine that made you what you are. Want to know who messed with it and possibly broke it?" She asked. He then growled at her.

"No!" The Doctor shouted.

"It was me," Rita replied sprinting towards the tower not daring to turn around. "Theta your plan! Do it!" She screamed at him. Martha and Tish then ran up beside her and she groaned. "What are you two doing!"

"Helping you!" Martha shouted climbing the tower with her running around the spiral staircase as fast as they could. Hearing a scream the two humans stopped looking back.

"Did you hear that?" Tish asked.

"He's changed again." Martha cried.

"Come on! We have to keep going up, he has a plan and we have to follow it!" Rita shouted running up the staircase dragging Martha and Tish with her.

"Stone! Martha!" The Doctor shouted. Rita then looked through the passageway.

"Up here!" She shouted.

"Take him to the top!" He shouted up at her. "The very top of the bell tower, do you hear me?"

"Yes!" She shouted back. "The very top. Do what you have to do!" She shouted back to him and watched him run off. She then felt Martha pull her away and saw the mutant Lazarus heading right for her.

"Well then, andiamo!" She screamed pulling the two with her. They continued to climb heading as high as possible, they ran out to where the giant bell was running around on the wooden frame.

"There's nowhere to go. We're trapped!" Tish cried.

"We're not trapped!" Rita told them making sure they stood behind her.

"All right, so then we're not trapped. We're bait." Tish shouted.

"That's the one, the Doctor knows exactly what he is doing, I trust him with my life without having to think about it, I know he will do this, you have to trust me and him." She told them as calmly as possible keeping her eye on the door.