#FridayFreeForAll

Friday, June 30
Well, it's my job to record what goes on around here, so obviously I need to record this. It's the only good thing that's happened to us since finding that abandoned and yet still stocked Costco back in May.

Laura had her baby today, and it's the healthiest, happiest little creature you ever saw! It's a girl. If we had a scale, we'd weigh it - do this the proper way - but as it is, I'll just go with this estimate - comfortably heavy.

You should see Patrick. When he does have to leave his family's side, he struts around, proud as can be. Can't get that huge grin off his face for anything.

For once, our ragtag little group is happy, truly happy. We're not worrying about if - more likely when - the zombies are gonna get to us. We're just worrying about how to make Laura and her baby as comfortable as possible.

Oh - almost forgot to write down the child's name!

Lucy. It means "light." Fitting - she's the light that's leading us out of this darkness. She's the light that's telling us that everything might actually be okay.

Even with all of this joy and feelings of safety, we're moving camp again tomorrow. Luke went scouting for signs of life and thought he saw something moving in one of the abandoned restaurants. Whether or not he actually did is irrelevant. For our safety - and now especially the baby's safety - we need to leave.

But I'm not worried about that. Not with beautiful, brave little Lucy here. Her very presence has boosted morale like nothing else.

I was told to start keeping this journal so we'd have some legacy of our group once we had all inevitably perished. I began writing down the daily occurrences of our travels in order to better understand the apocalypse so that when, again, we inevitably were turned by the zombies, someone could benefit from it.

But now I feel like maybe we won't die.

For the first time since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse, I feel a glimmer of hope.