First Day Back

The usual anxiety and dread associated with first day of school is loud and clear in the homes set on Broad Street as all the rich kids hustle around looking for their Prada purses and Valentino jackets and the not-so rich reach for their converse and Topshop jeans. I, Dash Brian, fall into the latter of these categories with my infamous maroon beanie and khaki hoodie. Although last night's event shook everyone to the core, nothing can take away from the materialistic society we live in which will reign down on anyone who isn't aesthetically pleasing according to their social hierarchy.

The typical morning events unfold as Rosalie Walsh and her posse enter the gates of hell (school) and put on a show when they receive condolences from their loving fans. I'm slouched against my locker watching this parade as a newbie rocks up in a shiny Sedan. You see most people would pay attention to her purple tainted lips, her purposefully blushed cheeks and sharp winged eyeliner, I however am struck by the seemingly out of place paperback tucked just inside her Versace book bag. Naturally, all heads spin her way as she picks her way through the mass of students surrounding Rosalie, a few girls glare in jealousy while others stare longingly and the eyes on most male heads protrude out of their sockets.

As if on cue, Rosalie launches her attack, striding elegantly towards the new girl with her followers in toe. "Hi, I'm Rosalie Walsh, captain of the swim team, nice bag, is it an original?"

The new girl, without a hitch, responds, "I'm Vaida Rose and yeah, how'd you know?"

They converse like this for about five minutes, the conversation ending with Rosalie inviting Vaida to swim team tryouts, which she politely turns down as she opts for the gymnastics team. This response earns her one of Rosalie's infamous scowls as she swivels on her heel towards the west block of classrooms.

*Bell rings*

The remainder of the day revolves around gossip of Blane Walsh's unexpected demise and ridiculous assumptions are made of potential suspects. Word travels fast about the new girl in town making it impossible for Vaida to go unnoticed. Then again with her expensive fashion sense and strawberry blonde hair, it's virtually impossible for her not to draw attention and that's without taking into account that she's a competitive gymnast, another fact that has spread like wildfire in this too small for comfort little town.