The Easiest Way To Break Your Own Heart

I walk through the crowded lunch room, carefully balancing my lunch tray on my hand while using the other to cling on to my book bag tightly. Once I reach the less crowded area by the stairs, I see the familiar sway of a very long brunette ponytail with pastel pink streaks in it from under the small staircase that leads to the auditorium. I walk over, grinning, and sit down by Rosi. Jenny, Kay, Stacey, Tiffany, and Sophie are there too, laughing and talking away. Kay notices me first.

"Hey Kimmy, how are you girl!" she giggles. Everyone looks to me now.

I blush. I don't like all the attention, but that's why I have friends who are so loud and outgoing, because after awhile they find something else interesting to obsess about instead of me. "I'm great!" I say in my normal, optimistic and naïve fashion. I didn't think I was naïve before I met Rosi this year, and she told me that I was but that it was a good thing, so I'm glad I am. She said it means that I am good and happy and untouched emotionally, which I don't really understand, but I went along with it because what I understood seemed good.

"That's good," smiled Stacey, and they continued on with their giggling.

Lunch went by pretty quick, as well as the rest of the day.

When the bell rang, I got everything organized to go home and walked out as our teacher dismissed us. I found Rosi and we walked around to the exits closest to our house.

"Oh!" I exclaimed.

"What?" she asked, used to this by now.

"I forgot my phone in my locker! I'll be quick, I promise, sorry!" I yelled behind me, running back across the hallway, bumping into several people and sincerely apologizing to each of them.

"I'll be by the door!" shouted Rosi. I flipped my hand without looking back so she knew that I heard her and rushed to my locker.

Once I got there, most of the students were gone so it wasn't crowded anymore. there were still the occasional few passing by but not many. I opened the locker and grabbed my phone. I got four texts. I stuffed my phone in my bag, deciding not to keep Rosi waiting, but when I closed my locker and turned around, there was a boy walking past.

I didn't recognize him but he looked like he was probably in tenth grade. He was tall and sort of scrawny but not really, He had hair the same light brownish colour as Rosi and big brown eyes like her too. He was super cute, and he was smiling a big white grin at me.

I smiled back and waved, and he waved back.

And with that, he disappeared around the corner.