One

Cody's POV- May 2017

I quietly made my way inside the charter bus and began looking for an empty seat in the front. The back of the bus was for the veterans and I was not that. I had been with the Dodgers for less than a month now since my call up on April 25th. AT&T park held a special place in my heart, it was where I made my MLB debut, so it was nice to be back in SF. It's crazy how life worked considering I started the season in the minors, and now here I was. I was only here until the guys on the disabled list got better though, and I was going to take advantage of the situation.

"Morning Belli"

"Morning Doc" I greeted.

Our team manager Dave Roberts offered me a smile before turing his attention back to the notebook he was holding. I took a seat two rows behind him and leaned back. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes. 

"Hey Belli"

I opened my eyes and glanced up to see Joc, one of my teammates looking at me. He was also my roommate, and I honestly couldn't understand how he was so full of energy considering he slept less than me.

"Has anyone called you?"

I raised an eyebrow.

"No, why?" I wondered.

"No reason"

And just like that he made his way down the bus to his seat. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked at the screen. Who would call me?

"Cody"

I looked away from my phone to see a grinning Adrian Gonzalez.

"Hey" I greeted.

"Has anyone called you?"

"Who would call me?" I questioned.

He smiled and I realized what was going on.

"You did not" I stated.

"I didn't, Joc did"

I turned around to see Joc give me two thumbs up.

"We gave Maia your number"

Dr. Mendes (or Maia as many referred to her as) was the 'unofficial' team surgeon. The guys happened to find out that I had a small 'crush' on her daughter, Madeline who played Softball for the Florida Gators. 

"She'll call"

Explanation time! So about two seasons ago, an old teammate happened to be talking with a girl from Alabama's softball team. The Crimson Tide happened to face the Gators in the Championship series. Florida dominated the game and blanked them 5-0. A double play initiated by the Florida's first baseman, Madeline Martinez caught my attention. It was the bottom of the seventh inning, and Alabama had one girl on first base. The girl at base hit the ball, and it was going towards left field when she jumped up and caught the ball. She threw it to her teammate at second base who threw it back at her to get both girls out. As the camera zoomed in on her she mouthed, 'you got this' to her pitcher. They showed a clip of the same pitcher striking out a girl two games ago to end an inning, and the camera zoomed in on the catcher who smiled and mouthed, 'one more'. That girl was the same girl who was currently at first base. The commentators explained that although her natural position was catching, she could play any position (except pitcher) in the infield. Their coach had decided to be spontaneous and changed up the line up. She was switched from Catcher to First Base. Apparently, the pitcher had not been comfortable about the change. They went on to win their first National Title the following game, winning 6-3. What started off as a simple crush turned into more when I got to meet her during last year's Spring Training. I was introduced to her after my turn in BP. She was taller than I imagined, and her eyes were much more prettier than I though. It was a brief introduction, but it was enough to make me want to know more about her.