Will x Reader

In a bustling tavern on island of Tortuga, a young, handsome man sat, drowning himself in drink and sorrow as dusk settled over the seas. You coincidentally worked at that small tavern and it was you who was serving him. After about the fourth bottle of rum, you grew worried; the furrow in his brow and the distress in his eyes did not mix well with the intoxicating affects of liquid-comfort. His long, dark hair was dishevelled, his shirt was untucked, everything about this man screamed helplessness. And you couldn't contain your curiosity. You felt it wrong to give him any more drink, so instead you threw your apron aside and slowly approached him. You smiled kindly, though he didn't return it and asked "What's your name stranger?" For a moment, his eyes glanced up at you as if checking that you were talking to him. Then he placed his bottle aside and coughed "William... Will." Now that he had said it, the name suited him perfectly. "I don't think I've seen you around before- have you sailed far?" He briefly shook his head, grasping the bottle in his hand and taking a gulp. "Oh well, that's just a pirate's life 'ey- never staying in one place for long." As soon as the words left your lips, Will's demeanour changed. Clearly you'd struck a nerve, as he slammed the bottle down on the table and growled "I am not a pirate." Teasingly, you smirked "No, you're travelling with Jack Sparrow and his patched up crew, looting and raiding completely lawfully, aye? Nothing criminal about that." There was an amused glint in your E/C eyes and you quirked an eyebrow at him. Will narrowed his eyes at you questioningly, and you knew what he was going to ask. But before he did, you added "Jack was in here earlier and he mentioned you and the crew- me and him had a bit of catching up to do anyway." Will nodded and finally showed a little smile "So you know Jack?" Scoffing, you glided around the bar top and perched on a stool next to Will. You said pointedly "Every girl in Tortuga knows Jack Sparrow... But it's not like that. Many years ago he and his crew plundered my father's inn, he was too sick to do anything and I was just a child. Although I was hidden, Jack stumbled upon me when he was looking for the rum. I pointed him in the right direction and then remained unseen. They left us penniless. Jack found me later that night begging and remembered who I was. I didn't think it possible for a pirate to have a conscience, but he took me to a lady, a witch, who looked after me. I never saw my father again though, never knew what became of him." Will looked solemn and lost in thought as he mumbled "I don't really know my father either. I thought I did but I was wrong."

Frowning, you placed a gentle hand on Will's arm and his eyes met yours. Little more than a second passed but it felt a year as you stared into his deep, brown eyes. You whispered "Is that why your forcing all that rubbish down your throat? Because you miss him?" Will's eyes flickered to the empty bottles on the bar top and he grinned, his cheeks turning slightly pink. "That's not just it. I'm actually trying to save someone in danger. She's- She's a friend." Sheepishly, he looked away. Something twitched inside you when you heard him say 'she'. Was it..? No... Surely you weren't jealous of a girl you'd never met being friends with a man you'd just met! How ridiculous! An awkward silence fell upon the two of you. Rather than endure it, you coughed and excused yourself "It's getting rather late, so I shall retire. It was a pleasure William." Without allowing him to say anything, you fled from the tavern and to your home, where you let your heart shatter into a million pieces. Why were you always so childish when it came to feelings? It was just a man, who already had a lady. You had no place intervening, and you knew that well enough. But still, that handsome man with the dark eyes had you captured- rather ironic considering he claimed not to be a pirate, yet it felt as though he had kidnapped your heart and held it for ransom. You were going to pay for letting your feelings run wild. Not with gold or silver, but instead tears.

What you had not expected was that Will would appear at the tavern the following night in search of your company. Nor had you thought he would come back the one after that, then the next, and the next, and the next. For nearly a week, you two enjoyed each other's conversation nightly, and with each word, falling harder for the other. Sometimes, you spoke of your parents and the witch who raised you. Shyly, you admitted to Will that she had branded you with a hot iron when you were barely eleven. A magical symbol that meant you were bound to her and also a life of piracy. The witch claimed it was because fate had wanted her to set you on the right path. Despite her words of warning, you worked to make an honest living but had no problem befriending the regulars at the tavern. Gently, you rolled your sleeve up to reveal a scar in the shape of a sword on your arm. Will grazed his fingertips over it and looked deeply into your eyes. Feeling sorry, he leant forward and kissed your forehead and the two of you sat in a comfortable quiet after that. One night, Will was telling you about his home, working at the blacksmith's, and growing up with Elizabeth. The reminder that he would never be yours, for he already belonged to a higher class heiress soured your mood considerably. Not wishing to wallow in your self pity, you forced a smile and said "Midnight approaches. It is best I leave you now." But Will knew something was wrong, as normally the two of you would talk well into the dawn. Just as you turned to leave, you felt him catch your wrist. Will stood from his stool and stepped closer "You never even told me your name." It only just occurred to you that you actually had forgotten to, all this time. Cheekily, you grinned and whispered "I shall, when we meet again." William kept a serious countenance as he replied "Are you certain that we ever will? I leave tomorrow..." Feeling sullen at the news, you took a deep breath and nodded "If you are to live a pirate's life, this may well be our last encounter." You turned to leave but a thought struck you "Though, if you should like me to, I will wave you goodbye when you sail." Will was surprised by the proposal of it, but very much glad you had asked. "I would like you to, absolutely. Come by the docks tomorrow at sunset." Gently, you stretched onto your tip-toes and ghosted a kiss across his cheek "Until then..." You whispered. And then you disappeared from the tavern. Will gazed after you, and raised a hand to his cheek, where you had kissed him. His cheeks grew rosy and warm and he pushed aside the empty bottles. You had managed to lift his spirits marvellously, and at times he found himself forgetting why he had originally left... Who he had originally left for...