Chapter Nine

The young man swore. Sonia turned slowly to see the willowy figure of Szandra standing at the bottom of the stairs, thinner than ever. In this light, she looked like she was drowning in her rough clothing.

The priestess glided towards her, and Sonia, her hands shaking, put the note back on the table. They were face to face, and as Szandra floated into the circle of light from the candle Sonia saw that her face was strangely serene, practically euphoric.

"I-I have a note. From Josef." Sonia pulled it out of her pocket and offered it slowly, watching the folded paper quiver.

Szandra pushed it gently back towards her.

"I need not see it," the priestess said. "You've met our friend, I see."

"Um, yes." Sonia backed up, feeling the table press against her back. Nakt shifted inside of the cage, further from the door. "W-why wouldn't you want to see the note?"

"I've already gotten his message," Szandra waved her hand dismissively. "You look frightened. Why?"

"Well," Sonia took a deep breath, her eyes flickering back towards the stairs. "T-this man says your village is planning to sacrifice him. For—for some magical artifact."

Szandra nodded sagely. Sonia stared.

"R-really? I don't under—"

Szandra reached into the folds of her cloak, withdrawing a flat wooden box. She opened it, showing a blackened metal knife to Sonia. It looked like a plain shard of metal, but Sonia felt herself recoiling from it. She didn't like how it refused to reflect the candlelight.

"It needs a life force to charge it," Szandra explained, snapping the box shut and replacing it inside her cloak. "This man was caught wandering in the hills outside the village. We believe he was sent here by the gods. But you," Szandra's papery hand brushed Sonia's cheek. The girl shivered. "The holy seer herself brought you here. And she speaks for the dragon- a true god, a real god, made of flesh and fire."

"Falscha?" Sonia heard her voice fail.

"Told you so," Nakt muttered.

"The power of a human life is needed. Young, healthy." Szandra leaned closer, her crooked nose coming close to Sonia. "But this one has had an awful life, full of violence and theft. His heart isn't pure."

Sonia's hand crept towards the candlestick as Szandra ran a hand through her hair, pushing it back from her face. She tugged at the corner of Sonia's top, exposing one freckled collarbone.

"So young and pure..." Szandra murmured. "Could she have brought you for any other reason?"

Josef's prying questions echoed in the back of Sonia's mind. Her hands scrabbled to open the parchment he'd given her. It was blank. Sonia turned it over in desperation, but there was nothing.

She grabbed for the candlestick, bringing it up to smash it against the priestess' forehead. Szandra grunted and fell. Sonia bolted towards the stairs.

Something hit her in the back of the neck, hard. With a cry, Sonia fell to her knees, watching an empty bottle rolling away.

Szandra was upon her in a moment, grabbing a fistful of dark hair and attempting to drag her up the dirt steps. Sonia twisted about and fought, scratching and biting. Her nails left five red lines on each the priestess's arms, drawing blood, to no effect. Szandra seemed manic, unable to register pain. Sonia dug in her heels, grappling for some leverage in the deep folds of robes and gowns the priestess wore.