U

August eventually rolled around and I thought about it the whole summer, and it just made me want to scream louder every hour this dreaded time got closer.

It's currently 5:37 in the morning and I still haven't fallen asleep yet. I was so scared. Scared of the possible outcome like in the books. I don't want to be that person who's always by themselves and I don't want a guy or girl to sweep my off my feet. Or do I?

The private school I used to go to was all girls. It wasn't catholic, if that's what you're thinking, but you had to be rather wealthy to attend it due to how much money it takes. It was a good school; very strict, but I know a lot more than Marcel and I'm going to be a freshman in three hours while he's going to be a junior.

I groaned and sat up, thinking of all the things that could go wrong. Marcel said that you don't need a uniform, but that just leaves me to think about what I can wear.

I pulled my knees to my chest and rest my head on them. People are going to try to talk to me about subjects I most likely don't know about. Marcel explained to me as I'm "book smart" and not "street smart" and the fact that I didn't really know what that meant, proved his point.

Sure Marcel said he wouldn't let anything happen to me, but we won't be in the same classes. How can this junior leave the middle of class to help his little, freshman sister who doesn't even understand what a lunch line is?

I was tempted to go and wake up Marcel to flood him with yet another round of questions, but I figured that I should just let him sleep.

What if he's super popular and never hangs out with me because I'm a nerd? What if he didn't want people to know I was his sister? What if he meets someone who doesn't like me? Will he still help me when I need it? Who will he choose?

My door creeped open, bringing reality back to me as my door showed more and more of Marcel.

"Why are you still up?" He asked, himself not sounding tired.

"Why are you still up?" I said.

He sighed and walked in, closing the door behind him. He hustled to my bed and sat down next to me.

"I can't sleep." He squeaked.

"Why?" I asked, "What's keeping you up?"

He shrugged and after a long pause, he sighed, "I don't want to get to school and have you become really really popular and forget about me."

I raised a eyebrow, "Marcel, that's impossible. 1) there's no way I'll be popular when I even asked what the dress code was and 2) not only are you my brother, but you're my best friend. I wouldn't leave you for all the money in the world."

"But this isn't about money," he said, "this is about attention and you hanging with people that might not like me."

"What makes you think I want attention?" I said. He didn't answer and just shrugged. I sighed and said, "I was honestly just thinking about that though?"

"If you left me because you were popular?"

"No, if you left me because you were popular."

"Y/N, that's ridiculous." He said.

"Why is popular even a roll and how come you wouldn't mind if it happened to yourself, but if it happened to someone else, it's bad?" I asked.

He stared at me for a while, then looked away once again. "Your old school must've been so easy." I opened my mouth to say something but he put his hand up, indicating he didn't want to here it. "In a social way, not educational."