Chapter Twenty Three

"How do I do that?" I asked Jude, staring at him in disbelief.

"I-I.... I don't know exactly," he grimaced, shifting his eyes away from me.

I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest and putting a finger on my lip, "Well, do you remember anything at all? Anything new?"

He hung his head, looking deflated as he floated down to the couch, "No."

"I just don't know what I can do then," I grunted in frustration.

"I'm sorry, I'm running out of time. I don't know how to explain it though."

"I get it. Let's think."

Preston cleared his throat, looking over at me with narrowed eyes, "What's going on? Is everything okay?"

I sighed, shaking my head, "He wants to find his body, but I don't know where to start."

"And he doesn't know where it is?"

Jude rolled his eyes, "I already said that doofus."

I quirked an eyebrow at him, "He can't hear you, you know."

Jude shrugged, crossing his arms in a sulky pout, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know, but that's not exactly my fault."

I snorted in amusement, but didn't respond to him, instead looking at Preston for help, "Any ideas?"

"I saw a movie once where the ghost could "sense" his body, like a dog that can pick up scent. He was able to find his body and get back inside," Preston said pointedly.

Jude scoffed, then laughed, shaking his head, "That has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. Or death. Or whatever."

I pursed my lips and scratched my head, "You know, actually that's not a bad idea at all."

"Wait," Preston squinted at me, "Who said it was a bad idea in the first place? Was it Jude? Is he mocking me or something?"

Jude stuck his tongue out at him in a display of major maturity, "Is he mocking me or something?"

I rolled my eyes, "Enough guys. Focus."

"Okay," Preston said, inhaling a deep breath.

"Jude?"

"All right, I'll play nice. Scout's honor," he said with a sly grin, holding up three fingers.

I narrowed my eyes at his words, the familiarity of them plaguing my subconscious, but I shook away the feeling, not wanting to remember. "G-Good. Now, can you sense your body?"

He was too busy rolling his eyes to notice my discomfort, "You're serious?"

"You said you were going to cooperate," I reminded him gently.

"Is he not going to help?" Preston asked, borderline whining. He was more excited to solve this than me.

I gave him a look that told him to be quiet, which he did, then I turned back to Jude, "Can you please try? Help me, help you, okay?"

"Okay. Fine, what do I do?"

"Now who's been visiting a therapist?" Preston muttered under his breath and rolled his eyes.

I shook my head at him and focused on Jude, "Close your eyes, I guess. Concentrate. Remember how it felt to be alive."

He shut his eyes tight, opening one eye to look at me, "I don't remember what it feels like to be alive though. I can only assume that I was."

"Okay, well, imagine what it would feel like to be alive. Try to find out if something is, I don't know, tethered to you. Spiritually. Physically," I tried, winging it and hoping I was on the right track.