Chapter 2- The Boy in the Clubroom

Oh crap. That was all I could think of as I made my way back to the clubroom I'd just left, having realised that I'd totally forgotten one of my notebooks for class after the meeting had been turned into a study group that afternoon. What with finals coming up, our godly brigade leader was coming down hard on all of us, claiming that bad grades could 'totally jeopardize the reputation of the whole brigade'.
Yeah, whatever. The sessions were slightly enjoyable, either way, so that was a plus.
And yet now, I was cursing them again because I'd left one of my books in the room.

I trudged up the stairs with about as much enthusiasm as a depressed dog going to the vet, or something. In short, I just wanted to go home.
Some weird feeling washed over me as I arrived outside the club room door, like something was ushering me away from the handle, but was hypnotising me to come closer at the same time. Yeah, it sounds as weird as it felt. I couldn't explain it either, but I just assumed that I was getting paranoid, what with the majority of my high school friends being very unusual, and in some cases, very inhuman. I sighed, brushing off the feeling that I was being both repelled away from and drawn to the door, grasping and turning the handle to open it.
There, on the table in front of where I'd been sitting, was my missing notebook. I felt relieved that it hadn't been packed away somewhere else after I'd left the room for the first time before realising that it was gone. With some slightly more eager steps, I approached the table and picked it up, slipping it into my bag's front pocket and turning around. As soon as I turned, I stopped.
It almost felt like the room had suddenly become a refrigerator, no, it was colder. Almost like the entire room was suddenly a freezer and the walls around me were turning to ice. In the midst of the sudden cold temperature, I suddenly felt claustrophobic, as though the room was much smaller, or much more crowded, than I thought it would be. I expected to turn and see one of the girls, most likely Haruhi, waiting to jump out at me, but she wasn't that childish, right? I wasn't even going to question it.
I turned to face the costume rack, on it hung all of the strange outfits that had been collected over the last few months. I even searched in between each of the dresses and cosplay items, looking for someone. Nobody could hide under the table or fit in any of the tiny cupboards or shelves without a part of them sticking out and being hella freaking obvious. It was only when I tried to grab the door handle to leave again that I felt as though I knew exactly where the feeling was coming from. I stopped again, glancing over my shoulder, slowly turning my body as my eyes grew wide. Now, do you have any idea how to deal with seeing somebody else standing in a room with you without you noticing until you're leaving? Not to mention the fact that you've never seen this person before, you didn't hear the door open and you definitely wouldn't have missed them if they'd walked in normally. That's a serious question, because I sure didn't know!
There, standing in front of the window, beside the computer, was a young man, around my age, standing there and just staring at me. His expression was as cold and emotionless as Nagato's, his eyes seemingly never blinking as eye contact was locked and never lost. Suddenly, he moved, taking a few steps around the table towards me, gradually looking slightly more confused with every step he took towards me.
His feet made no sound, almost as though he was totally weightless, or maybe he was flying. Now that's ridiculous-... Can I still see the window behind him... THROUGH him?
When I noticed that last detail, I thought to myself, what the hell was going on? Of everything that had been happening surrounding me and Haruhi recently, aliens, time travellers and now ghosts too? Maybe? I really wasn't sure.
At first, I had hoped to have been hallucinating as a result of lack of sleep or something, but that didn't seem right. That idea was quickly dismissed as I looked over his body again.
Damn, he looked torn up. His pants were ripped from one knee down to his bare feet, showing the weird cuts, bruises and burns that patterned his fair skin. His shirt was also ripped, a similar sight there too, covered in an array of deep cuts, bruises that were going green and burns that horribly disfigured parts of him. On his almost translucent face, another deep cut ran down his cheek, a bruise on his neck and a small burn on his forehead, only just visible behind his bangs. He looked awful. As my shock gradually subsided, although I'm not sure how it did, I opened my mouth to speak.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked, sounding slightly afraid, however much more angered than anything.
He looked at me, his lips parting a little before I heard a relaxed voice take a soft breath in. He spoke, softly and quietly.

"Itsuki Koizumi."

I recognised that name. Raising an eyebrow at him, questioning where I recognised it from, I continued to stare at him. I looked at his face, deep into his light, brown eyes and I though, where have I seen that face before? Then, I had an idea. But it couldn't be, right? The boy that was found mysteriously dead three years ago was now a ghost in our club room? What was going on here, but still, the shock of seeing him there and realising who he was seemed like enough at the time. Knowing that I had my notebook this time, I gave him a scared smile, turning quickly and running for the door. I caught a glimpse of him following me out of the room, but once I reached the turning to the room, only about three feet away, I turned to see that he wasn't there and that the door to the club room was closed. I considered looking back inside and checking whether or not he was still there, part of me still very unconvinced that he had been a ghost. I took a deep breath, clearing my throat and composing myself before I made my slow and gradual way to the exit of the school building, hoping only to forget about all of this before tomorrow.