There's no way we can afford a hospital bill of any kind right now.

But I don't tell him that, because you shouldn't be telling people who you don't like about your personal life.

"I think she'll be okay," I tell him, "but can we stay by her side until she wakes up? I just want to be sure."

He nods, understanding my concern. I scoot back away from him. There's no reason we need our shoulders to be touching.

In fact, I stand up completely. There's no reason we should be sitting even two feet away from each other.

I begin to pick up the beer bottles from the floor to distract myself. I can feel Pete studying me as I do so. It makes me slightly uncomfortable.

I retreat to the kitchen in order to escape Pete's almond eyes staring me down.

When I come back to pick up more bottles, Pete is still looking at me.

"You know Pete," I say, breaking the silence, "I can feel you looking at me."

Pete looks away quickly. "Oh, sorry."

My only response is the clinking of the last beer bottles hitting the bottom of the trash can.

I sit down when I'm finished, but this time a good six feet away from him. I'm on the ground at the end of the couch, and Pete is by my mother's head. I fiddle with the carpet, praying for my mother to wake up soon so that this awkward silence would end.

I decide to ask a question. "Why did you two break up?"

"Me and Brendon?" Pete clarifies.

"Yeah."

"Me and Brendon didn't work," he explains to me, "Our personalities clashed. As a friendship, we work well together, but when we were dating, it just didn't feel right. And I think we both felt it. The only time it felt right was when we kissed, and it's not a relationship if it only feels like one intimately. You need a strong emotional bond to be in a relationship, and me and Brendon just didn't have it."

That was a lot deeper than I thought it would be.

I just say, "oh, okay."

"I suggest a truce." Pete suddenly declares, off topic.

I look up at him curiously. "A truce?" I ask.

"A truce."

"Um, okay. Care to clarify?"

Pete moves closer to me. I shrink back a little bit. He doesn't seem to notice. "How about we both admit we did something wrong freshman year. We can play the blame game but it won't do anything. And we can't leave this unsolved or neither of us will survive this next month," he explains.

I nod slowly in agreement.

"I'll go first," he says, "Patrick, I'm sorry about what happened freshman year. You were being a dick, but I way overreacted. and to be honest, I've regretted dating Brendon since the moment I saw your face when I kissed him."

Oh. That was kind of sweet.

I take a deep breath. No going back now. "And Pete, I'm sorry as well. Although you overreacted, I may have been the one who started it all in the first place. And it was really rude of me to just leave you like that immediately after without giving you a chance to explain yourself or sort this all out. And maybe this goes without saying, but one of the reasons I acted out so much after you kissed him was because of how insanely jealous I was, and that was just kinda dumb, because frankly-"

I'm cut short by the sound of my mother coughing. She leans over without opening her eyes and immediately vomits in Pete's lap.

-
-
A/N
Lmao oops
During the entire writing of this chapter there's been some lady in my room sleeping & snoring really fukin loud, I can't yell at her to shut up because she's almost completely deaf.
I also wanted to thank all of you for supporting this work; it's my first fic and seeing even one new view or comment on here warms my heart. <3

drop a "vote" if you liked this chapter too please !