I'm Still Waiting.

Start from the beginning

Even though part of him felt like they were saying these things just to say them, it was better to get some generic messages than nothing at all. . . especially since these generic messages grew to mean the world to him.

Once he had made it back in Charolette for a family visit, his parents insisted that [Y/N]'s parents joined them all for dinner, which he was sort of apprehensive about, though he wouldn't admit it.

"Come on, sweetie!", [Y/N]'s mother said to her father as she helped him up the step of the porch and [Y/N] followed them both, hiding behind her parents with butterflies forming in the pit of her stomach as she mind became flooded with memories of the times they had shared with one another.

She hadn't seen him in two years and wasn't quite sure what he had even looked like these days, only having the visual of the Polaroid picture he had sent her back in '90 to rely on.

Honestly, she wasn't even sure how this would all pan out since the last time she had been in contact with him, it was to end their long-time relationship. Her mind wandered, questioning whether or not he had a girlfriend and if she was exactly ready to come to terms with the fact that they may never get back together.

Though she wanted what was best for him, she couldn't help but to feel as though she was what was best due to the fact that he was the only man she had ever loved, and she feared that there would never be another after him.

The distance between them is what made her come to the decision of letting him go and she knew it was selfish but now that she was back, she wanted him all to herself again. She longed to pick up where that had left off before she had went off to serve their country. However, it wasn't a guarantee that things were going to work out as she had wished.

The front door opened, pulling her from her thoughts as her eyes landed on his mother who wore a bright smile and greeted her parents with excitement before she had realized [Y/N] was standing there. Her eyes grew wide as [Y/N] smiled and stepped closer to her, maneuvering between her parents who stood in front of the door, embracing [Y/N] and kissing her temple as she spoke into her ear, "He's going to be so happy to see you." [Y/N]'s anxiety slowly began to vanish once they were led into the familiar home of the DeGrates, the smell of 'soul food' immediately filling her nostrils causing her mouth to water. They didn't really receive real food on the field and she was eager to have some after so long. The furniture was still the same as well as they family portraits that hung along the walls of the hallway that led them toward the rest of the two-story home.

"Oh! Look at that!", she could hear Dalvin blurt out before he had finally come into view as they walked into the living room, seeing him standing in front of the couch with a controller in his hand and his eyes focused on the television screen. He and Derek took turns playing Golden Axe II while Donald trash-talked their skills as he often did while waiting for his opportunity to play.

She laughed, shaking her head at the sight and becoming flooded with joy as memories of the countless times she had beat the three of them at Dynasty Wars back in '89 began to come to mind.

"Boys, we have company! Come say hello", his mother instructed as she stood in beside [Y/N]'s parents whom were still in front of her, keeping her out of view.

Donald rose from the couch while his brothers paused their video game. He smiled at the sight of [Y/N]'s parents, seeing as though it'd been a while since he last saw them.