chapter 5

Chapter 5

Georg quietly closed the door to his room at Elsa's house. It had been a day full of shopping-again- strolling through dressmakers, the shoe shop, the millinery. They'd browsed around jewelery shops and he was grateful Elsa hadn't hinted about rings this time. Then there was the prospect of this evening's dinner party, holed up in yet another glittering salon full of bores he detested, which was singularly unappealing at that moment. He was in desperate need of some rest. He tossed his suit jacket on the bed, and his tie soon followed. Kicking off his shoes, he sat on the plush, gold velvet chaise and leaned back, feeling the tension leave his body. Soon, his breathing slowed and deepened, and he fell into a restful slumber.

He was drifting, not walking or running, as there was no sensation of firmness under his feet. Yet he kept going, through the darkness, searching for what, he did not know, but knowing he could not stop or he'd lose it, whatever it was, forever. Suddenly the sensation of motion shifted, he was no longer moving forward, but falling, floating, down into more darkness. The feeling was oddly comforting, even though he knew not what he was moving through or heading toward. The downward motion slowed, and he reached what he assumed was the bottom of whatever void he was in. Now he finally felt something under him, something soft and welcoming, like an eiderdown quilt on a cold winter's night. His eyes closed, and when they opened again he found himself enveloped in the arms of his children's governess, her sapphire blue eyes shining, her perfect rosebud lips smiling at him. "Can I be of any help, Captain?" she whispered, in a voice that was so full of tenderness it took his breath away. She closed her eyes and leaned toward him, cradling his head to her breast...

The Captain awoke with a start, his clothing damp and disheveled. He sat up and ran both hands through his hair, trying to steady his breathing. He shook his head, trying desperately to get the memory of the dream to dislodge. What in the world was it about the fraulein that kept invading his thoughts, now both while awake and in sleep? He'd barely had even two hours with her, and most of that he spent being irritated with her boldness in questioning everything he'd told her. Not all, though. He had to admit, he'd been quite entertained by her reaction to the pine cone on her chair. He was especially impressed at the way she'd protected the children by claiming it was rheumatism, of all things. The memory amused him all over again.

A sharp knock on the door took him out of his musings. Before he could rise from the chaise, the door opened, and Elsa peeked her head in. "Oh, there you are, darling! I've been looking everywhere for you." She entered the room, hair perfectly coiffed and makeup complete, though she was wearing an orange silk dressing gown that just happened to leave very little to the imagination."I just wanted to make sure you'll be ready for this evening. I've arranged with Hanne for us to have cocktails with Max downstairs before we head out."

"I'm sorry, Elsa. I must have fallen asleep, it is quite a job to assist with your shopping expeditions." He smiled at her, and stood up from his position on the lounge chair. "It seems I have a little washing up to do, so if you excuse me I'll freshen up, dress, and meet you downstairs in a few minutes."

Once he was dressed in his formalwear, Georg descended the marble staircase and went straight to the sitting room, where he knew Max would already be at the liquor cabinet. Indeed, Max was standing exactly where the Captain expected, and the impresario handed Georg the scotch he'd poured for him. Elsa entered just behind Georg, resplendent in an emerald green column dress that clung to every curve in just the right way. Emeralds and diamonds sparkled from her ears, her neck, and her wrists. Both men took in the sight, and Max spoke first.

"Elsa my dear, you are simply stunning. A sight for these poor eyes, to be sure."

"Yes, darling, you look magnificent. Any man would be proud to escort you."

"Oh, you two charmers! Max, did you open the champagne?" Elsa made her way to Georg's side, and touched his arm gently. Quietly she spoke just to him, "and are you any man? Will you be proud to escort me tonight?" She batted her eyes and gave a small smile, and he took her hand.

"Of course. I do not flatter idly, Baroness." He kissed her hand, then let go as Max handed her the glass of champagne she'd requested.

After they'd finished their drinks, the trio went out to the car, which Ernst had brought around for the drive to the von Kempner's. Karl and Theresa were good friends of Elsa's first husband, and had continued their friendship with her after his passing. There were to be a dozen other couples in attendance, as well. For Elsa and her social circle, it was considered a small intimate affair. For Georg, it meant not enough guests to ensure he could sneak off when the conversation, or rather the gossiping, got to be too much. It was a short drive to the home where the dinner was being held, and Georg exited the car, turning and offering his hand to Elsa. From there, the party of three made their way inside.

As he'd expected, dinner was a tedious affair. There was the general small talk, the usual gossip, and several times the conversation started to veer into the current political the gracious hosts, the von Kempners deftly steered the talk to less controversial topics. Once dessert was finished, the men as usual went to Karl's study for brandy and cigars, while the women retired to the salon for liqueurs and more gossip.

The minute the door was shut, the men seemed to all being talking at once. Several were in favor of the anticipated Anschluss; several more were indifferent, including Max and Karl. Only Georg stood entirely against it. After a heated but ultimately fruitless defense of his position and of the country he loved so much, he left the study. Quietly, he picked up a bottle of scotch off the credenza as he did.

He passed by the salon doors, which were wide open. He saw the women inside, animatedly discussing the size of this one's diamond, or the arrival of that one's baby just a bit too soon after the wedding, he was sure. Not wishing to disrupt Elsa's evening, he found a leather wing chair in an unobstrusive corner of the library, filled his now empty glass with scotch, and began to drown his dark mood in the rich golden elixir.

Georg was a little more than halfway through the bottle when Elsa found him. "Georg, what are you doing out here, by yourself? Surely, you'd rather be in the company of the other gentlemen."

"No, Elsa, on the contrary. I'd rather be anywhere than in there." He looked at her pointedly, but when he saw her crestfallen expression he became less agitated. "Forgive me, I have just had enough of all of this for now. I thought rather than disturbing you, I'd just sit here..."

"And brood?" Elsa took the glass from his hand and set it on a nearby table. "I can certainly think of better things to do than that." She smiled seductively and ran a finger down the strong line of his jaw. "I'll find Max and we can leave." She quickly walked toward the study, briefly hesitated at the closed door, then knocked and opened it without waiting for a reply.

She stepped inside for just a moment or two, then returned to Georg and took his arm. "Come, darling, Ernst is waiting. Max will join us after he bids everyone goodnight." On their way to make their exit, Elsa stopped to thank Theresa for the hospitality. The pair then left the house for the car. Max quickly joined them, and the drive back to Elsa's commenced.