Emmica

Emmica Brown. Light skinned, small and petit. Wavy, short brown hair with grey eyes. This was me. It was me as I stared at my reflection, my face pressed against my bedroom window. Everything is already in place- no more brown boxes, empty walls, boring spaces. Everything is going as I planned. I have a job at Charlotte's- a small bookstore interconnected with a café. I already know the girl who lives next door (my cousin). Which is pretty great because she's a junior in high school. Her name's Kate. She's into sports, and she's pretty talented. Me, not so much. I prefer reading, photography, and the occasional writing. The thing about writing is that I never finish what I write. But that's another story.

It was pretty sunny outside, so I went outside for a walk. The streets were quiet, almost empty. I was curious to why it was so empty. When I was living here during middle school, everyone was always outside, and welcoming to everyone. Now, not so much.

My thoughts were disturbed to see a figure coming down my same street. He was sprinting towards me, and I seemed to recognize him as he came closer.

When he was almost to me, I remembered who he was. Connor Anderson. We used to talk in class. He was really funny, and a pretty nice guy.

But that was in middle school. A lot has changed since then. He was coming closer, and I debate on whether to greet him or hide my face, and pretend I don't know him. And I decide to hide. Just because I'm a coward.

Approaching people has never been my strength, which is why I only talk when they approach me. I've always considered myself shy, or timid. Probably both. It's not like I don't want friends. It's just that I've always been quiet, and I'm afraid I'll screw up or say something wrong. And then no one will ever talk to me again.

Conner comes closer, and I can't help but steal a quick peek. His appearance has changed a lot since I've last seen him. His face is thinner, and he's much taller. His hair has grown and is darker. He passes, not saying a word. He doesn't even glance in my direction as I give him a soft nod.

Maybe he doesn't remember me. Or he doesn't even recognize me. I did cut my hair really short; to my chin.

And it would be weird to look back at him, so I keep my eyes forward. Not thinking about a thing.