Winterfrost (PG13) - Frost of Winter

Bucky could not get out of the debriefing room with Fury fast enough.  He was sure everyone could hear the gears in his arm whirring with annoyance and anticipation.  He had to get the med bay and see how 'Lady Loki' was doing.  All the SHIELD agents parted for him as he came stomping down the hallway, talking amongst themselves.  Everyone knew who he had rescued from the joint HYDRA and AIM laboratory.  While he went to see her, Thor was arguing with Fury about how they should proceed with her.  "She is the reincarnation of my brother!  The prince of Asgard and son of Odin!  You cannot deny that, or treat her less than her rank demands," Thor insisted.

"She is the reincarnation of a war criminal, and a mass murderer.  That doesn't make a lick of difference to me," Fury said.  

"She didn't commit the crimes you're talking about.  She didn't do anything!" Thor shouted.  Bucky had left in medeas rae of that conversation, his anger threatening to make him strangle Fury with his prosthetic arm.  He could just picture his metal fingers closing around Fury's throat and tightening.  However, Bucky erased those thoughts as he arrived at the med bay.  He opened the door and the nurse and doctor looked up.  Their eyes widened but they made no move to stop him as he glanced around.  

"Where is the patient I brought in?" Bucky asked.

"She's in room #24.  Oh!  We have her records here if you wish to go over it," the nurse said.  Bucky made a move to grab it, but the doctor snatched it before he could.

"Director Fury's orders.  These documents are sealed," he said.  But Bucky was quick to take them back.

"F*ck Fury!" Bucky snapped as he walked towards room #24, flipping through the folder.  He perused the notes, stating Lady Loki's injuries and previous operations.  Her back had been sliced open, spinal fluid had been extracted, and bone marrow taken from her hips.  Bucky felt nauseous when he saw a scan of her midsection and several notes revealed at least four pregnancies in a five year span.  She had not had it easy in that lab.  What do I say to her? Bucky wondered as he opened the door and entered.  

"You again?" said a small voice and Bucky's eyes flicked towards the white bed.  He saw the disheveled girl from before had been washed, dressed, and gripping the sheets in her thin hands.  Her black hair was up in a pony tail, and there were dark shadows under her eyes.

"I guess so," Bucky said, closing her file.  She saw the manilla a folder and frowned.

"Is that my report from the doctor?" she asked suspiciously.  Bucky nodded and placed it on a counter out of her reach.  "Is that strictly necessary?  I know everything that's in there; I experienced it first hand," Loki commented.  She was deadpanned as she spoke and Bucky sighed inwardly.

She probably hasn't experienced any other kind of emotion, he thought.  "Well, I don't think you need to see the x-rays and scans and all that medical jargon.  I think you've had enough to last you a lifetime," he answered.  He stood beside her bed, his hands in his pockets.  They were literally just staring at each other.  Finally, a slight smile appeared at the corner of Loki's lips.  

"You again," she said.  Bucky's eyebrow went up and Loki sat up.  As she reached for a plastic cup of water on her nightstand, Bucky all but dived for it in an attempt to keep her from straining herself.  They reached it at the same time, and his metal fingers somehow found themselves interlaced with her own.  "You again."

"Me again?" Bucky queried, truly puzzled.  Loki nodded.  She managed to pull her fingers out and accepted the cup of water.  Taking a few tentative sips, she returned it to the nightstand and looked into Bucky's frosty blue eyes.  

"Do you think I was inseminated for all my pregnancies?"  That sentence made Bucky's heart hammer in his chest.  His head shook violently and Loki nodded hers gently.  

"No!  No, no, no, no!" Bucky exclaimed, spinning away.  This is NOT what he wanted to discuss!

"You did a very good job on a mission, and they figured to reward you.  They had been wanting to try it and suspected the serum in your veins and my unique genealogy would make for interesting offspring.  You were wiped after the fact," Loki said.  She spoke low and with no guile or malice.  She was simply stating a fact.   Bucky started to tear at his hair and hyperventilate.  "It was a girl though, and they didn't want a girl.  As far as I was told, she was removed from the facility."  Bucky got his breathing under control, clenched and unclenched his robotic hand, before he turned back to face her.

"Did you know the others?" he asked her, his voice shaking a little.

"A wonderful man by the name of Brock Rumlow needed to blow off some steam.  He was the second pregnancy.  They got the boy the wanted, and I almost died from a breach birth.  The third was a miscarriage, a stolen sample from the SHIELD hospital after a Captain America mission.  That was another boy-"

"Wait a minute!  You saying that Steve Rogers had a kid?" Bucky asked, gripping her shoulders.  Loki tilted her head and her eyebrow furrowed slightly.

"It's almost cute that you would ask about his child, but not say a word about your own," she pointed out.  Bucky knew the reason why too.  He still could not wrap his mind around the fact that he had had a kid.  There was a strong possibility that his little girl was dead and gone.  He could not fathom it.  Steve had also had a child: a little boy.  Or he would have had, if the baby had not died.  "The fourth and final were twins.  I do not know who the father was.  I was drugged and knocked up.  The boy and girl were taken from me in a haze; I don't even know what they look like.  Aren't I just a sad person?" she asked.  Bucky looked back up at her, and saw that she was actually crying now.  When his hand went out to comfort her, she withdrew, her breath rasping in her throat.  

"I'm not going to hurt you.  Are you afraid I'm going to hit you?  Why would I harm you?" Bucky asked.

"You're a man.  Men have been hurting me since I my heart started beating," Loki answered softly.  Bucky felt a little bit of his heart break at this.