Chapter 17: Permission

Ali's POV: 

The drive home from the Cabin went quickly and before I knew it we were home and unpacking and waiting for dinner. I was happy to have some alone time because after this weekend my emotions are all over the place. I have always liked Caleb, so being on good terms again is amazing. But at the same time I am freaking out because it is harder to keep my emotions in check when he is being so sweet. 

My mind races when he is near me and sometimes I think he might even feel the same way about me, that maybe he could love me, too. But then I remember we are step-siblings and nothing can ever happen and I get heart broken all over again. 

Being friends again is great though, and I will just have to accept that is all we can be. Then in a year and a half we will both go off to college and I an find someone who is appropriate to love and not have Caleb constantly around me to remind me of what I can't have. 

I hear a knock on my door and quickly open it to see my mom. 

"Hi honey! Just wanted to come up and see how your weekend was" she explains as she closes the door and sits on my bed, tapping the space next to her for me to sit. 

"It was really fun, mom, we mostly just sat around but it was relaxing." 

"How was Caleb? I know you guys don't get along like you used to, hun, but give it time and he will come around. Guys are slower than women to realize things sometimes."

"Actually, we kind of made up." 

"Oh really? How so?"

"I don't know, after Madison and him broke up, he just kind of is being nicer to me. I think he feels bad about yelling at me, but we had some good talks and he seems to want to be friends again like when we were little" 

I look over at my mom and she is smiling ear to ear, tears in her eyes, 

"Mom, what's wrong?" I ask, wondering what I could have said to upset her. 

"No, nothing is wrong" She says giving me a big hug and pulling away. "It's just your dad loved how Caleb always protected you and loved you, he would be so happy to know you two are getting along again. That boy loved you to bits when you were younger."

I smile, but can feel the tears coming to my eyes at the mention of my dad. He really did love Caleb, he was like the son my parents never had.

"I miss him"

"Me too, sweetheart, but he would want us to be happy and remember him by laughing and having fun" 

"I know, thanks mom." She gives my hand a little squeeze. 

"So, now that you and Caleb are getting cozy again...do you still have that crush on him?" My mom asks with a sly smile. 

"What?! Oh my gosh, no! Mom! He is my step-brother. Ew." I really hope that sounded convincing but apprently not because my mom is howling with laughter. 

"Mom, it's not funny!"

"Oh, Ali, it's just that he is not your step-brother. I mean, technically yes , but you guys knew each other before John and I ever even met! If you have a crush on him that is perfectly understandable"

My eyes are wide and my mouth wont shut, I am probably drooling. Is my mom seriously saying I can have a crush on Caleb?

"Mom....?"

"All I am saying is don't let the title get in the way of something you have always wanted. I know you have loved that boy since you were 7 years old, that doesn't just go away. And John knows it, too, with Caleb. I'm not saying it won't be a little weird, but just go with it, Al, because you deserve it.