6 Dark Underarm Remedies You Probably Didn't Know About

Newsflash: underarm whitening doesn't have to be painful (and, you know, painfully expensive). Some of the best spot fighters can be found riiight in your pantry! Keep scrolling to find out which six super ingredients are fantastic for warding off unwanted armpit darkness. Get cookin'!

1. Apple cider vinegar

You'll need: 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons baking soda

How to use: Add the vinegar to the baking soda and let the mix bubble. Once the bubbles have subsided, apply the mixture on the underarm area and let it dry. Rinse with cold water. Repeat thrice a week.

Why this works: ACV contains mild acids that can remove accumulated dead skin cells and also lighten the underarm area. Additionally, it also acts as a disinfectant, killing any microbes present.

2. Potato

You'll need: 1 small potato

How to use: Peel the potato, grate it, then squeeze out the juice and apply directly on the armpits. Rinse off after 10-15 minutes, and repeat twice a day until desired results are obtained.

Why this works: Potato happens to be a natural bleach and anti-irritant! As a bonus, it also provides instant relief from the patchiness and itchiness that's a byproduct of hyperpigmentation.

3. Olive oil

You'll need: 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar

How to use: Mix the oil and brown sugar. Dampen the underarm skin, apply the mixture, and gently scrub for a minute or two. Leave on for five minutes then rinse with lukewarm water. Do this twice a week for optimum results!

Why this works: Rich in antioxidants, olive oil is deeply hydrating and nourishing for the skin. The brown sugar acts as an exfoliant to whisk off dead skin cells that have accumulated and made your underarm skin darker.

4. Calamansi juice

You'll need: 2-3 calamansi fruits

How to use: Slice each calamansi in half, then scrub your underarms with it for 2-3 minutes per armpit. Let the juice stay on for about 10 minutes before rinsing off. Use regularly, 3-4 times a week.

Why this works: Calamansi has a high concentration of citric acid, which is a natural exfoliant and bleach (ever wonder why some people even use it to lighten their hair?).

5. Turmeric

You'll need: 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 teaspoon honey

How to use: Mix all the ingredients and apply the paste on the underarms. Let it sit for 10-12 minutes, then rinse. Repeat twice a week.

Why this works: Turmeric is often used in face masks to brighten the skin tone and fade spots away. Milk contains lactic acid that further aids in the underarm whitening process, while honey is a great soothing agent.

6. Tea tree oil

You'll need: 4-5 drops tea tree oil, 1 cup of water, 1 spray bottle

How to use: Pour the water into the bottle, add the tea tree oil, and shake well. Spray this mixture on the underarms and let dry naturally. Use this daily!

Why this works: Talk about hitting two birds with one stone. Tea tree oil not only lightens the underarm skin but also keeps it odor-free! Its antimicrobial properties will kill microbes present and deodorize the area. A word of caution, though: tea tree is an essential oil and therefore highly concentrated, so be sure to do a patch test before usage.

source: www.preview.ph