Chapter 3

CALEB SHADE THORNTON

His wife died giving birth to a boy named Adrian that might not be his, but his now ex-best friend Tristan's. He didn’t even know his wife was cheating on him.

Now his son was 4 years old and has already had many nannies. All of them said that he was the devil in a little boys body and quit. He was losing hope and just as he was thinking this, his butler entered his study, bowed slightly and said “Lord, there is a woman named Sonya River downstairs. She said she has a proposition for you that she would like to talk to you in private. Should I escort her upstairs?” Caleb knowing she is a great friend of his mother said “yes, do that. And bring some refreshments too.”  A few minutes later Lady River entered his study and sat down in front of the fireplace. Breaking the silence Caleb said with his voice emotionless “I hear you have a proposition for me, Lady River. What pray tell might it be?” “Well, me and your mother have been friends for a long time and she told me something that is beneficial to us both.” “And what might that be?” Lady River looked at him like she was contemplating how to say the next words “I hear you lost another nanny for little Adrian.” “That is correct, but how is this beneficial to me, or you if I might ask?” “Well not me personally. You probably heard that I took in a girl 3 years ago that is now 22 years old. She has been working as a companion and nanny for these past 3 years. But there is currently no work for her. So I decided to come to you and recommend her.” Hearing this, Caleb started thinking of the good points of this deal. But he has to know more about this woman before hiring her “I see. I did hear something about this but I don’t like to listen to rumors. Please tell me more about this Lady” Lady River happy to do just that started telling him about the woman she loves as her daughter “Well, her name is Selena Blaze Agra. I found her on a road 3 years ago collapsed. I took her home and when she woke up she couldn’t remember anything except her name. She wore expensive clothes and had a lot of money on her so we assumed she was from a rich family. When we told the police, we couldn’t find any trace of her family so I started taking care of her. But because she didn’t like to just sit around and do nothing she decided to start working as a companion to older women and later as a nanny. If you want I can give you recommendation letters that the families she worked for wrote.” As he was listening to this he had a bit of respect for the Lady. She lost her home, memory, even family but still stood up and lived on. Looking thru the recommendation letters from other families he couldn’t find anything bad about her but he was skeptical. He decided to hire her and see what will happen “Well Lady River, I must say she sounds like a great woman. Please tell her to meet me here by the end of the week, since its two days ride. After meeting her I will introduce her to Adrian and see how it goes.” “Thank you Caleb. You won’t regret it. Now I must go, good bye.” “Good bye Lady River and safe journey” Lady River smiled at him and left his study.

He started going thru the letters again not believing any woman to be good. A small part of him couldn’t wait to meet the woman that nobody said anything bad about.