~1~

"God does his works in mysterious ways, producing miracles all around the world. This is why we worship him. He created us to be his sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, we are all one in a way." Father Derrick said. It was Sunday around 11am and my mom forced me to go to church.

Me being 17 not caring about religion and would rather be at my grandmas house we've been staying at for a few weeks. She lives in the middle of no where so there's no wifi or cable, but there is a bed, and blankets and I like to sleep. My mom only brought me to this church because she thought I needed god in my life.

I always roll my eyes at her every time she says "You need god in your life Jacob." Even my grandma does too. I tried getting out of going this morning but my mom told me if I don't go with her when we get home I'm gonna be grounded from hanging with friends. Grounded over religion..fancy , right ?

The priest was going on about some gospel mysteries and I zoned out once I heard it. I don't care, that's why. I was thinking of what my friends are doing back home, probably hanging out, texting, getting pizza, having fun. While I'm stuck in a old beat down church listening to Jesus turning drinks into blood.

I finally came back when everyone started standing up. Everyone walked to the front of the church and ate some small piece of bread and drank something out of a cup. My mom told me I couldn't go up because I haven't been "baptized." I just shrugged not caring, I just waned this session to be over. I saw my mom pick up the bread and drink out of the cup. The bread looked a nasty color anyways.

A few minutes after everyone ate the nasty bread and drank whatever was in the cup the priest finally sent everyone out wishing them a good day. I was so relieved. I got up off the pew and stretched and then started walking. The pews were all wood and they weren't comfy to sit on, so I had some pain.

"Did you like the priest ?" My mom asked. I shook my head. "I've never been to this church but it was a good church from what I see." My mom answered. I looked at my mom like she was nuts. "Um the seats are harder than a watermelon, and the wall structure is crap, the wall is plain gray with old bricks to add on to that." My mom shook her head disagreeing.

We just sat down in the car and relaxed for a minute. "I always feel...clean whenever I leave a church." My mom said. I just stared at her. "Like god made all my troubles go away." She added. "Yeah." I said going with it. "Can we go back to grandmas now ?" I asked. "Yeah- oh shoot." She said. "What?" I asked. "I left my jacket I'll be right back."  She answered.

I watched my mom exit the car not really in a hurry. She needs to be in a hurry, I don't wanna be here anymore, gives me a bad vibe anyways. I started to stare out my window. I saw someone standing the middle of the road. She looked like a little girl. She was just standing there not moving. A car started coming towards her from behind.

I started to panic. The little girl didn't even notice the car, she wasn't moving. The car wasn't even slowing down, it's like the person driving didn't even see her. I got out of the car and ran towards her. "Hey! Stop!" I was yelling at the man driving the car. I ran towards the little girl. She stared at me for a moment. I jumped in front of the car trying to move the girl. The car came to a immediate stop almost hitting me.

"What the heck are you doing kid ?? Get out of the road!" The old man yelled from his car. "Jacob!" I heard my mother yell in a angry voice. "What the heck are you doing ?" She said and ran over here.  I was still on the ground. I looked around for the little girl but didn't see her. "There was a little girl! He was gonna hit her!" I yelled at my mom. People around us started muttering and gossiping. I could hear whispers of "that boy needs help."

My mom shook her head in disappointment. She sighed and looked at the driver. "I am so sorry about this." She said. He nodded. My mom gave me a angry look. "Get in the car NOW." She said. I pushed my self off the pavement and headed towards the car with my mom. The old man shook his head as he drove off.

I got in the passenger seat of the car and my mom got in the drivers seat of the car. "What was that little stunt you pulled ? Huh Jacob ?" She asked. I looked at her upset. "I wasn't lying mom. I know what I saw and it was a little girl in the road and the guy was going to hit her so I got out to help her." She frowned. "Like back home you always gotta be the center of attention don't you?" I stared at her not saying anything.

We drove back to my grandmas not saving a word to each other. We pulled into the dirt driveway and I got out and walked into the old wood house slamming the door. My grandma, Betty, stared at me in confusion. "I'm so over your daughter never believing me!" I said angrily to my grandma. She stared at me not saying anything. Her mouth was open a little. I shook my head and ran upstairs.

I ran into my room and slammed the door and locked it. I didn't make a foo of myself....I saw a little girl...I know I did. I layed on my bed staring at the bright ceiling. I just wanted to be back home. I know my best friend Tes, would believe me. She always believes me, because I don't lie.

I saw a little girl. I'm going to keep telling myself to believe it. Because I know what I saw...