Rowan pursed his lips little, but composed an unemotional expression, ‘Er, right, well… do sit down, you must be freezing it is the middle of winter out there and there you go, running around in nothing but this old thing!  I am surprised you have not caught your death of cold,’ he said picking at the man’s tartan wool on his shoulder.

‘Aye, I have. Many times! But it takes a lot more than just a case of the sniffles to knock down this pure blood, and you see death and I have a very how do you put it…. Uh flirtatious relationship but I always win!’ the man said, sitting down in a chair and putting his feet up on the table, much to Rowan’s obvious look of disgust.

‘How rude of me, I have not properly introduced you two,’ Rowan said, making an attempt to ignore the wet and somewhat muddy boots on the polished table top. ‘Rein, this is William Walkinshaw. William, this is Rein. I found her half dead in the snow when I was coming back from my… er… conference with a small group of Killan McEien’s. She is staying with me, until she fully recovers.’

William took his feet off the table so he could get a closer look at me. His eyes shone in the flickering light of the fire,

‘Well, she is definitely a beauty, aren’t you lassie?’ he said, reaching out to touch my arm. I jerked violently away from him, the memory of Killan and his cronies that first night in this strange time burning in my mind.

‘Hush lass, it is alright, I ain’t going to hurt you,’ William said softly, withdrawing his hand slowly, ‘you are a shy one, too.’

I gave him a weak smile, my face burning. Rowan, observing my discomfort, interrupted quickly,

‘She had some trouble with McEien three weeks ago. But an experience like that does not leave you so easily.’

William nodded knowingly, ‘I understand that; ran in with him meself not a month ago. Spiteful, greedy beast he is. He’s the sort of person only a mother could love.’

‘I am not so sure even his mother would love him!’ Rowan said, which made William roar with laughter.

A couple of moments passed and everyone remained silent looking everywhere but at each other, William obviously picking up on it and decided to make his escape. 

‘Oh well, I might just take a small trip down to your kitchen and see if I can convince your staff to give me something to eat,’ William said, standing up, a mischievous glint twinkled in his eye.

‘For goodness sake, William, do not say anything I will regret!’ Rowan said as William retreated to the door.

‘I shan’t, I’ll only ruffle their feathers a bit,’ he said, and then disappeared into the dark corridor.

The corners of Rowan’s mouth twitched as he shook his head. I gazed, almost curiously at the door. William interested me a bit. Not in that sense, but in the way of how Rowan had come to know him. What was his story?

‘He seems nice,’ I said, absentmindedly.

‘Aye, he’s a good lad, well, most of the time. However, I will say he’s a fool.’ Rowan sat down next to me.

‘Why?’ I asked.

‘One of the things William enjoys the most is taunting the English and in particular, King Edward of England. But you see the thing is Edward hates William with a passion because William is much too clever for Edward and always manages to escape right under King Edward’s nose. He’s been at the English since before I ever knew him.’

‘How did you come to know him?’

‘Well, I was travelling back to the keep from a journey to another clan’s keep. I’d stopped beside a stream for a while to let my horse have a rest, when suddenly; I heard something running through the bushes and I was almost flattened by a breathless whirlwind. He grabbed me and pulled me behind some bushes. I was startled, thinking I was being attacked for he had his hand over my mouth to stop me from crying out. But then I heard some more footsteps and some loud voices. They soon moved on and the man, whom we now know as William Walkinshaw, released me. That was when I met him and we became friends. Although, of course William is now a little more, how shall I say, house trained than he was back then and although he is often away, I know he would stick by my side no matter what,’ Rowan said, his eyes growing a little glassy at the memory.

I thought of the scruffy, bearded man child and sighed I and realised that he and Mairin would be perfect together, this gave me an idea, I rubbed my hands together.

It would seem I have some work to do before I find my way home!

A/N: Sooooo what do all of you think I have been getting soo many more readers than I expected for my story and that really makes me happy!!! THANK YOU ALL *sheds a silent but grateful tear>

VOTE<COMMENT>SHARE

You know the drill

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGracexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx