Bikes

Leví

We rode out bikes into the city, passing it to get to the lake somewhere deep into the woods. Where we'd always go to hang out. Actually, this was our third time around.

"Lev," I heard my name being called as i parked my old bike against a tree

Looking up, i found him already way ahead of me heading towards the shallow lake.

"Over here~"

I followed him, passing a few trees before getting to the spot he chose to sit this time. Last time was my turn to choose; we sat really near the lake and had both of our feets dunked into the chilly water.

He sat crossed legged on the uneven grass before i took my place very near to him. Practically laying against him as i snaked one arm around his and lay my head on his shoulder.

"Hey, i wanna tell you something..." He whispered, feeling him moving his head to face me.

"I feel like i know..." I murmured, a little clear enough for him to hear me.

"What do you think it is?" Still maintaining a soft tone of voice, he lay his head on mine while starring at the lake in front of us.

"Mmm I'd like to hear it from you first~"

Dawon

Love.

In love.

I was in love with her.

That was all I wanted to say to her.

Does she really know? Or is she just teasing?

Nevermind, just do it. Do it now or never. She doesn't have that much time anyways.

It's do or die.

Taking a deep breath, i started
"Leví, i like you. Like....way too much."

Keeping her silence, it either seemed that she didn't expected those words from me or that she actually knew about it somehow but manages to stay relaxed about it.

The unknowing of what she was actually thinking didn't exactly helped my gradually escalating anxiety.

I kinda freaked out a little, blurting
"Like...to the point where you're the last thing i think about and the first whenever i open my eyes in the morning. I, uh, i...i mean...not a 'thing'. I'm not referring you as a thing. What i mean was —"

"I know, Dawon." She stopped me, releasing her head from my tensed up shoulder and sat up straight as she looked over at me. Continuing

"I know you like me. And...i really, really like you too."

Dumbfounded

Dumbfounded. I couldn't believe what my ears were just fed.

So, she knows....

"How?" I asked.
"How what?"

"I mean, how did you know?"
"Dawon, i wasn't born yesterday." She laughed.

"I know, we were born on the same damn year — I'm just curious how did you know. Was I being too obvious?"
"Honestly, yeah. To the point where i figure why not return the favour?"

Favour?

"Favour? What do you mean?"
"Dawon, I won't have much time —" she wanted to start before i stopped her.

"Yeah, i know...but that doesn't mean that you'd have to return the favour."

Leví. Bluntly speaking, she wasn't gonna live that long.

No, not even joking. She literally has a few months to live before her fragile lifespan expires.

That was according to her doctor. She has this lung condition. It has a name but she wouldn't tell me exactly what it is but it's fatal and there aren't much remedies to look into.

"Dawon..." Weakly, she called my name to summon me out of my irrational emotions.

"You feel what you feel. You don't have to owe me anything." Adamant, i said.
"I didn't say i owe you anything."

"Return the favour, Lev. Really?"
"Look, I'm bad at expressing myself...!" She got a bit frustrated after that.

"Okay then tell me this; do you even like me?"
She nodded.

"Say it." I demand.
"I like you, Dawon. A lot."

"How much?" I asked again.
"Okay, no. Let me rephrased. I love you."

WhOA??? i diD NOT EXPECT THAT.

But knowing her true nature, i refuse to believe it.

"Don't say it just to make me believe you."
"I swear, Dawon. I love you."

"So....bold. How can i really trust you?"
She let out one of her most beautiful traits; effortless air laughing.
"Dawon, how else am I supposed to prove it to you?"

She got me staying quiet for a bit. Thinking of a way for me to really believed that she shared the same feelings.

How else does one prove one's genuine feelings towards the other?