But most of all, Patrick misses the way Pete always had his back, no matter what. He misses that support and that person to lean on when things got difficult. He misses being able to help Pete out and seeing him smile with resolution after Patrick gave him advice, like he was ready to explode because he just wanted to put the advice to use right now.

"Yeah," Patrick mumbles softly, "I really do." And he thinks it's the truest statement he's said in a long time.

"I'm in town this week, are you?" Pete asks, and he sounds hopeful, smile audible to Patrick through the phone, and it causes Patrick to smile in return.

"Actually yeah, I'm visiting my parents." Patrick is so happy, so excited to see Pete again, catch up and maybe drink a beer and bond a bit, get back to just being Pat and Pete.

"Wanna come over? I'm still at the same place, if you want to," Pete invites, and then the line goes dead and Patrick's alone again. He checks the alarm clock on his night stand to see that it's almost 3am, and yet, Patrick is too awake to go back to bed now.

He practically bounds out of bed, gets his glasses on and makes sure to brush his teeth. He doesn't know what's going to happen, doesn't care, his only concerns are staying alive and seeing Pete. He pulls on some black jeans and thick socks to keep warm. Then he finds a thick scarf and a cardigan and finds himself smiling the whole way down the stairs into the kitchen. With a little searching through the drawer, he finds his keys and pulls on some black leather boots, and then he's out the door, into the freezing cold January night, uncaring of the shiver that's coursing down his spine because he knows it's not from the cold.

The car ride there is dark, beautiful, and he plays lazy music on the radio, acoustic guitars and pianos. The street flies underneath his car, a dark ocean of asphalt and promises. The trees are comforting, almost creating a barrier between this world and the next, keeping Patrick enveloped in the forgiving nightfall and making sure he's protected. Patrick feels so good, too good right now and he briefly wonders why but dismisses it as he realizes it's because of his destination.

The singer's mind wanders to Pete. He thinks about Pete's eyes the most, the way they tell everything about the guy. Patrick always knew when Pete was having a hard time because his eyes would be clouded over and Patrick would be unable to see the sparkle that was present in Pete's eyes when he was happy, or excited. Patrick has never seen a more wonderful sight than when he wrote a song for Pete's 28th birthday, the day they thought he'd never make it to. The song was easygoing, full of gentle lulls and warm lyrics about how Pete was going to be okay, and by the end of it Pete was crying. Pete never cried so immediately Patrick was worried, but when he looked into Pete's eyes, he saw the sparkle, and something else he didn't quite recognize.

Patrick remembers the way Pete looked at him the time he told him he was bisexual. It was two in the morning, they were both so drunk it was laughable, and Pete was getting touchy-feely with Patrick, which Patrick really didn't mind. Pete was always a contact sort of person, and he required it in order to convey his feelings. Drunk Pete was no different, insisting that Patrick and he sleep on the couch together to keep warm. The musicians had been talking for hours, but now the walls were down and truths started coming out. Neither had a filter anymore and the honesty was tangible.

"I'm glad I broke up with Ashley," Pete admitted, and he snickered, the relief in his voice spreading through Patrick as well.

"Me too, Petey," Patrick smiled, patting Pete on the head and then wrapping his arms just a little bit tighter around the dark-haired boy. Pete sighed in contentment.

"You're really warm," Pete stated, tucking his face into the crook of Patrick's neck. Patrick leaned his head on the other boy's.

"Mmm," Patrick mumbled in contentment, prepared to drift off to sleep soon.