Chapter 33

The kitchen clock read twelve-thirty when Vincent and I returned from the hospital, and the whippets showed their gratitude by circling our legs as we edged into the pantry to fetch treats. I ditched my boots as soon as I sat down. The stiff leather had my toes cramping, but I justified the pain, since we were photographed no less than eight times at the hospital, which didn't include the ambush in the ER waiting room where Vincent stirred the pot a little more.

After a quick shower, I changed into my usual loose-fitting tee and baby doll shorts, returning to find Vincent hovering over his cellphone. It didn't take long before his gaze lifted, and he blessed me with those smoky grays.

"You took a shower," he said, the words tumbling over his lips like a taunt.

"I smelled like hospital." I leaned up on my toes and kissed Vincent's cheek on my way to his coffee machine. I needed a jolt after the thing with Mr. Pearlman, but nothing to dose me. "What's got you moody?"

"Am I moody?" he asked, turning to watch me.

"You didn't say much on the way home."

"I rarely say much unless I'm provoked."

"Yes, I'm familiar with you. So, let's say I'm provoking you. Talk to me." I flipped on the coffee maker and spun around, leaning my elbows on the counter.

"That business card Milt gave me at dinner..."

"Yes... I couldn't make out the message. What did it say?"

After a painful hesitation, he answered. "It said, What's under the church?"

"Church? As in Trinity? He knows about the hidden door? But how?"

"Because I'm an idiot. I took a foolish risk, knowing they had surveillance on you. I wasn't thinking straight after all the bullshit with..." He clenched his fist, bringing it to rest on the cupboard with a restrained thud.

"I'm starting to think MC is more of a threat than the demons."

Vincent sighed heavily. "I'm forced to agree with you on that."

"And we're still not telling anyone about the door?"

He pushed away from the counter and came to stand in front of me. A strand of hair hung over his forehead, and I reached up to press it behind his ear.

"For now, let's keep it our secret," he said. "And I don't want you near that area unless your job requires it." Vincent enveloped me in his arms, proving himself through his strength, but I also felt his vulnerability. I brought out the weakness in him. Not necessarily a good thing for a gargoyle.

Curious fingers dipped between my thighs, and Vincent circled his thumb over the sensitive knot under my panties, also his weakness. I tilted my hips, encouraging him as he worked a finger inside the fabric to tease me further.

"So sweet," he said as his lips groped for my mouth. "So wet."

"Well... have I told you how much you turn me on?"

Vincent's eyes flicked to the refrigerator, and I followed his gaze. The last time he pinned me there, his oral assault had me coming like a tsunami, but the positioning was not ideal for a guy who stood six-foot three or better. Apparently, this was not Vincent's plan, nor was coffee in my immediate future. He lifted me up and carried me through the apartment into the bedroom. Clothes were quickly dispatched, and he wasted no time burying his face between my legs. I had all of him, without cellphones, or domus responsibilities, or million dollar mergers. And he had me, with all the crazy that came with it.

Vincent's urgency became apparent as soon as I took the plunge, and his powerful tongue lashed me until I quaked into a blissful buzz of half-awareness. I woke from my climax high when I felt him at my entrance, circling me, priming me, then driving into me with desperate intent. I wrapped my legs around his hips, controlling his thrusts, keeping him in check as he took what he needed. It didn't take long before I felt the familiar quiver.