Chapter 1

"Come one move those feet!" yells my father.

          I move my feet faster and match his every move. I strike and spin, landing with my feet spaced apart and my sword glimmering straight ahead, pointed at my father. He swings left and I easily block. He swings again and this time when our swords collide he whips out a small knife and throws it at my head. I quickly move just in time to dodge it. I hear it sail just by my left ear.

          He pulls his sword away and holsters it around his waist.

"Come on Gwen, I know you can do better," he sighs.

"I'm sorry father," I say dropping my head to look at the ground that was now imprinted with out footprints.

"It's alright, but next time you better try harder."

          I look up at my broken down home. It is a small house that was once white but the paint has been scraped off. The small porch creaks and bends under your weight when you walk on it and nails stick out everywhere. I look at my little brother who is sitting on the steps and smile lightly at him. He waves his small little hand at me and I give him a little finger wave back.

"Gwen, focus," my father snaps.

"Sorry."

          I quickly turn my face back to him and his intimidating glare.

"It's time for shooting practice."

          He walks over to an old, dying tree to the side of our house and pins in a small square of paper.

"Hit this piece of paper and nothing else or you will have a punishment."

"Yes father."

          I walk over to the porch where my brother is and hand him my sword. He takes out a moist towel and wipes the sword down right away. I pick up my bow and arrows that lie next to him and strap the arrows on my back. I am probably best with the bow I almost never miss my target.

"If you don't make this shot you will have to run five miles and we will have an intense training session."

"We always have intense training sessions father."

"Well this one will be harder," he scowls, not approving of my tone.

          I sigh and take out an arrow from the holder. I click it into place on my handmade bow and breathe deeply. I close my eyes and picture the arrow piercing its mark. Inhale and exhale. I open my eyes, find my target, and shoot. It reaches its target. A perfect shot.

"Not bad," replies my father.

          My father was a very serious and intense man. Nothing was ever good enough for him but I guess that's why I am as good of a warrior as I am. He is six feet of pure fire. His hair which was once dark brown is now highlighted with white, his blue eyes which once shown with happiness and life were now dark and harsh. He hasn't been the same since mom died fighting with him in the first war. He was a great warrior, he helped bring down the thirty states that dared to rebel against the rest. But the day he saw mother shot down next to him, an arrow in her heart, he has never been the same. Who could blame him?

"Thank you father," I nod to him.

          He looks past me as I hear footsteps approaching. I smile, click in another arrow, turn around, and fire. My friend bends over into the bridge position and dodges the arrow making it pierce the house next to mine.

"Nice shot Gwen," my best friend smiles, getting up from her position.

"Thanks Tara."

          Tara lives next door to me and has been my training partner since our first session. We instantly became best friends. Her dark black hair and emerald eyes are completely different from my dirty blonde hair and dark brown eyes in every way. I am five ten to her five seven but we have the same athletic build. Her calm, serene personality balances my intense, fiery one. We are a perfect duo.

"Well look who's finally arrived for training," replies my father, anger making an appearance in his voice.

"I was out hunting sir," she bows.

          He sighs in defeat, Tara always got off easier.

"Fine, grab your swords and let's see a duel."

          I run back to my brother and trade weapons.

"Good luck," he smiles.

"Thanks Josh."

          I tap him on his small freckled covered nose before jogging back out to the front yard.

"You ready Tara?" I grin.

"I was born ready."

          We both raise our swords to each other and get in our fighting stance. She makes the first move and strikes. I block her and swing her sword off to the side. She quickly recovers and strikes again. We go at this for a few minutes until I get an idea. I position my sword to the side of hers and connect them. I swing it around hers over and over until she loses her grip. I then strike and the sword falls out of her hands. I point my sword at her stomach, making sure not to accidentally stab her.

"Pin," I breathe.

          We are both breathing heavily, sweat dripping down our faces.

"Wow, you are getting better and better every day," grins Tara.

"Thanks, I guess I have a great partner and teacher."

"That was alright but I feel like you two were fooling around," scowls my father.

"Yes sir," sighs Tara.

"Now let's get back to work."

          We spend the rest of the day training. Tara started with target practice with daggers and her bow and arrows and I trained with my father some more. My sword work still isn't at its highest.

          Once the temperature of the air dropped and the sky got even darker, Tara and I said our goodbyes and my father and I headed inside.

"You must always remember Gwen that..."

"I know father, that training no matter how boring and useless it may seem is helpful in making me a better warrior," I complete.

"If you know then why haven't you been trying like you used to?"

"I don't know father, but I am trying."

"Fine, but tomorrow after you hunt for us we will work harder then ever."

"Yes father."

"Now get some rest."

          I nod my head and walk off to my shared room. It contains only two beds and a desk with a mirror above it. Josh's bed is against the wall under the only window in the room while my bed is in the middle of the room. To the right of Josh's bed is the desk and mirror.

          I quietly sneak in and see my brother curled up in a ball, fast asleep. I smile at him and rummage around the floor for a shirt. I finally find a long white one and change into it to sleep in. I quietly crawl into bed so I don't wake Josh and sleep instantly hits me as I think about my training and the hard day I will have to face tomorrow.