Easter Eggs (Original One-Shot)

It was the day before Easter, and Brigid had been out fo the house for more than two hours.

Without telling Briar.

When he woke up, she had up and gone. This was partially Briar's fault, as he had woke up at lunch time from a late night of finishing the last piece on one of his songs.

He was now in the livingroom of his apartment, sitting on the couch with the TV on, but it had been on mute as he stared at his cell phone. He anxiously awaited the call or text that would rest his frazzled nerves. Even thoguh he a had woken up two hours ago, Briar was still in his pajamas: boxer shorts and a fading band t-shirt that had The Beatles written across it.

Just as soon as he had entered his thoughts, he was pulled out by the gracious voice he had nervously been waiting for.

"Briar? I'm home!"

The raven-coloured haired man had literally jumped up from the dusty couch and was at Brigid's side in a flash. She had three shopping bags filled with items he couldn't see.

"Brigid! Where the hell have you been?!" Briar asked in a voice filled with worry.

"Well, I woke up at eight this morning, and you were still asleep, and by the way did you know that your snore like a beast? Kept me up half the night. Anywways, about an hour after I woke up and had my caffine, I remembered tomorrow was Easter! I wanted tog et up, but I had found a comfortable place on my bean bag, so I stayed put for an hour and a half, then finally got up, got dressed, and went to the dollar store around the corner. I got us some eggs to color..." Brigid finished with a small smile.

Briar gave a large sigh and put a hand on his forehead.

"Bridge," Briar sighed, calling the brunette by her nickname, "You were gone for two hours without a single call or text. I'm not really in the mood to put something that came out of a chicken into brightly colored water."

Brigid's shoulders and smile had dropped. She had planned this out just for Briar, as he had stayed up past midnight almost every night this week, and she just wanted to make him smile instead of yawn. She just wanted to see the smile she loved so much on his face when she put a sticker of a cartoon bunny holding a basket on his nose.

In her few seconds of moping, Brigid turned her feelings around and her expression went cross.

"Fine! if you don't want to spend some time together, then you can start up the eggs on the stove and put the candy for the others in the cupboard. I'm going back to bed," Brigid hissed, pushing past Briar to put the bags on the counter and going up the stairs to the room the couple shared.

Briar stood there for what seemed like eternity and a day, but it was only a few minutes. He looked down at the bags, and slowly approached them, peering inside. There was a dozen eggs in one sack, and in the other, a package of brightly colored plastic eggs and assorted chocolates and gum in a smaller bag beside it. In the final bag, there lay red Solo cups, vinegar, and a thin, green box that had the words Eddy's Easter Egg Kit printed on it.

In that split second, Briar felt what his girlfriend had wanted to do.

Brigid lay in bed with a giant, fluffy blanket wrapped around her as she was surrounded by darkness, only the light of the small television casting shadows everywhere. A soap opera was on, which was not a good sign. Brigid only watched these when she was extremely sad or depressed.

A woman named Jennette was crying over a break up with her boyfriend on the TV, Brigid giving side commentary.

"See, Jennette?" Brigid sobbed. "All he's gonna do is d-disapoint you."

Brigid let out a loud sob, but silenced her tears at once by the loud string of curse words that had errupted from down stairs. The girl untangled herself from the blanket, almost falling off the bed in the process and raced out the door and down the stairs, half worried and half happy that her boyfriend had made some kind of noise.

Brigid slid into the kitchen in her socks to see Briar covered waist up in blue, pink, yellow, and green dye. Briar looked up and saw Brigid hiding a bemused smile behind her hands.

"What happened?" Brigid laughed, walking over the Briar who lay in a multi-colored puddle.

"I felt bad and tried to surprise you with the eggs . . . And well, the coloring thought other wise," Briar laughed as he slowly got up from the puddle with help from Brigid, a rainbow of colors dripping from his pants and shirt.

"You sure made a mess of stuff, huh?" Brigid laughed.

Briar gave a nod as Brigid grabbed a towel from the laundry room. While she was in there, Brigid let loose a smile.