Magic - Third Challenge [First Place]

Start from the beginning

Eva snatched it from his hands straight away like a lion pouncing at their prey. This was what she had been waiting for, for a while now. She opened the file to see what the contract was this time. Instead she was faced with a blank picture and only a few words in the description.

"What the hell is this? There's nothing on here to go on."

"Exactly. That's why we need an experienced bounty hunter such as yourself to catch this one."

Knowing better than to argue, she closed the file and stared back at her boss. "Fine. I'll see what I can do." With that, she turned on her heel and walked out of the office.

"I have heard of this. They call it "The Firefly" back at the higher authority office." Sebastian rubbed his chin in thought. "Why are they sending both people from both ends to find this thing?"

"I have no idea." Eva leaned against the doorframe. "Is it dangerous?"

"No clue. I only know as much as you do, which is not much." He pointed to the nearly blank piece of paper.

"Thanks Sherlock." She replied sarcastically.

"Babe, don't worry about it too much." Sebastian lifted his pierced eyebrow in such a way that it seduced Eva.

She bit her lip. "Well it's quite easy to when I have you to look at."

"Oh really, maybe I should come closer so you can get a better look." He shuffled towards her and stopping just so his face was inches away from hers.

"Ah, that's better." She grinned before going in for the kill.

When Eva had enough courage to pull away, she decided to let Sebastian in on a little secret. "You know, I'm told to stay away from you."

"By who exactly?"

"My boss."

"He's only jealous because he hasn't had some in a while."

Eva chuckled and playfully slapped her boyfriend on the arm. "Actually I think you might be right."

"When am I not babe?"

Haha right! I should've known better than to trust him.

The smell of burning wood caught her attention. Using the muddy floor for tracking down 'The Firefly' was useless. The continuous shifting of the sludge covered at least half of the footprints and Eva was quickly becoming unsure if where she was going was right.

The hoots of owls from a distance gave her a jolt once in a while. Eva had hated doing solo missions in the night time, especially in the middle of nowhere. After much research she had come to know that 'The Firefly' prefers to hideout in a place void of technology, only surrounded by Mother Nature herself.

Fires were also a clue that the demon was near. The heavy smell clogged her lungs as she drew near. Faint grey smoke was visible just over the tree. Eva grabbed her grapple hook and shot it to the highest branch of the nearest tree.

Once upon her perch, she looked out over the clearing. Below was a small pond which had a glowing orange orb right in the middle. The grey smoke emanated from it like ghosts. Eva stayed a while to observe the spectacular taking place below her. When nothing suspicious was noticed, she hopped down and landed on the sludgy grass with a squeaky squish.

That was all that was needed to awaken the beast. The ground rumbled as if an earthquake was passing by. The water shook violently and spilt all over the ground like an overflowing cup. And in the middle like a fountain, water shot up high into the sky and in the middle stood what Eva figured was The Firefly.