#rayn(happy birthday renee!)

there seriously aren't words to describe our friendship and we talk about it nostalgically all the time so let's just cut to the #rayn fluff.

ilysfm renee you're gaaaawgeous 'n bootyful 'n f-a-b.

ONE-SHOT:

"Streamers?"

"Check."

"Balloons?"

"Check."

"Are they red and yellow and blue? All the colors I specified?"

A heavy sigh from Harry. "Yes, Zayn. It doesn't even matter, really; she won't care."

"Yes it does, and yes she will, and I care," Zayn snapped stubbornly. He didn't miss the looks Liam and Louis exchanged, but he was too keyed up to bother apologizing to his friends. He knew he was being a little bossy and demanding, but he couldn't help it. Everything had to be perfect. "Is the cake--"

"Of course the cake's here, dipshit, it's lying on the table," Louis interrupted.

Huffing, Zayn pulled his bottom lip between his teeth and chewed on it, shaking his head slowly from side-to-side. "This is all wrong."

"Oh for the love of God!" Liam groaned and covered his face in his hands. Even mild-mannered Niall looked slightly peeved at Zayn's constantly shifting attitude.

Speaking over their complaints, Zayn said, "I don't think she'll like any of this. We should remake the entire thing. Let's go with another theme--"

"Christ, Malik, we did our best!" Louis hissed. "She'll be here in ten minutes, and there's no time to change anything, so pipe the fuck down and sit your butt on a chair." Sighing, he softened his tone. "Look, Zayn, mate, you know we love you, but you are being ridiculous."

Quietly, Zayn dropped his gaze to his hands. "I know. It's just... I really, really want this to go perfectly, y'know?"

"We know, Zayn," Harry said, and was polite enough not to add 'because it's all you've talked about for the past month'. "Renee's birthday is special, and we know she's special to you--but honestly, you're worrying too much. You two have already been on two dates, and she seems to really like you."

Sullenly, Zayn muttered, "Two dates doesn't prove anything. What if they were pity dates? What if she only didn't want to hurt my feelings by saying no?"

Liam patted his dark-haired friend on the back, shaking his head at the other lads. "He's hopeless."

"I can still hear you, Payne."

"Okay. You're hopeless," Liam told Zayn to his face, unaffected.

The tension in the air started to fade as each boy took a seat on the couch. Harry absently bounced a ball on the ground, while Niall and Louis surveyed the array of food--chips, snacks, soda and of course, the specially-ordered cake--that lined the tables along the wall. 

Footsteps sounded in the hallway just outside, and Zayn let out an uncharacteristically high-pitched scream. "It's her!" His eyes bugged out as he grabbed Liam's arms.

Wincing, the Wolverhampton boy carefully detached himself from his friend's grip. "Yes, it's her. Try to act sane, will you?"

A soft voice carried into the room, and a pretty black-haired girl stepped in, calling, "You guys in here? I'm here for the movie night--"

"SURPRISE!" Zayn yelled, in all his nervous glory, his voice cracking on the last note. Harry face-palmed; they were supposed to wait and all shout it together, but apparently Zayn was so high-strung that he was incapable of waiting a mere second.