An End To Fighting

Just so everyone knows, this fanfic is of the Pride as anthromorphic lion-people (except for prey animals cuz, let's face it, lion people eating herbivore-people is just plain wrong and borderline cannibalistic), though they still live where the originals did. Enjoy!

Kiara hugged Kovu, her amber eyes alight with happiness.

"I can't believe it," she murmered. "It's over. No more fighting."

Kovu smiled, though sadly. He had lost his mother, Zira. True, she had been a cold-hearted tyrant, but she had still been his mother.

"Yeah," he agreed. "You're right."

She stepped back to look in his green eyes.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. "Maybe, if I had tried harder, I could have saved her. I shouldn't have given--"

"Kiara, stop. I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault, she slipped."

"But I--"

"Sweetheart, listen to Kovu."

Kiara jumped as Nala approached with Simba.

"Mom. Dad."

Simba bowed his head slightly as he acknowledged the princess and prince consort.

"He's right, Kiara," Nala continued. "You did your best to try to save her."

Kiara dipped her head in guilt. She just felt so weak, so small. She couldn't even hunt properly yet. What had made her think she could save Zira?

"Kiara?" She looked up to see Kovu's face in front of her own. He kissed her lovingly. "You couldn't save her, but at least you tried. You can't give help to someone who doesn't want it."

"Kovu." Simba's voice rose above the idle chatter that had begun among the lionesses. Kovu looked at his father-in-law. His red mane ruffled in the wind.

Kiara kissed his cheek before he stepped forward to face the king.

"Yes, Simba?"

"I want to apologize for acting as I did. I should have waited to give you a fair trial before I passed judgement on you."

"No," Kovu said, embarassed. "You had every right to do what you did. Had we been in the outlands, all the others would have pounced upon me at Zira's command. She- we knew no mercy. Unlike you, Simba."

"No, I should have listened to what you had to say," he replied firmly, glancing at his daughter. "And I should have trusted Kiara's judgement. I'm sorry."

"Daddy..." Kiara was touched that her father would take the first step and apologize.

"There's something else," Nala said. All three looked at her. Simba's left brow was arched, puzzled.

"Should we tell her so soon, Nala?"

The queen stepped up, smiling.

"I'm pretty sure she's ready for this, Simba." Nala looked at her daughter, her blue eyes glowing. "Kiara, I'm going to have a baby."

Kiara's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Kovu grinned at Simba, and Nala chuckled.

"What?" Kiara gasped.

"I said you are going to have a little brother or sister, Kiara."

"And, not only that," Simba said, "but once he--"

"Or she."

"-- is born, we are going to step down and allow you to take your places as queen and king."